Photoshop 7 help

T

The Monk

cut all the background out of a picture with a bride and her father to the front? can I do it with the magic wand and how, I`m hoping I dont have to trace it all and cut it out

cheers guys,

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I think you'll struggle to do it with the wand Monk as it selects areas of a similar tonal range. You'll end up slecting bits of the subjects too.

The pen tool is the way to go, even though you will have to trace around them it is the most accurate way of doing it.

Edit - that I know of anyhow.

alan

Reaction score
T

The Monk

thanks alan, I have a copy of this but my computer wont take it, I`m still on windows 98se

Matty C

Reaction score
it depends how accurate you want it monk.. you can just crop the picture around the bride and her father, leaving a boxed effect. there will be a little background but not masses if you crop it nice and tight. There should be a cropping tool on there somewhere if thats what you want to do.

Alternatively, if you only want the bride and father with no background, you can "tube" them out. To do this, you need a steady hand and some patience.

firstly, look at the dimensions of your picture, i.e. 500 by 500 pixels. then open a new canvas but make it roughly 100 pixels bigger both on width and height. Turn the background colour to a strong red or blue, preferably a colour that doesnt appear in the pic of the bride and her father. Copy the pic of the bride, and paste <u></u>as a new layer <u></u>onto the new window. then select your lassoo (freehand selection tool) and make sure the selection type is set to "point to point", and turn the "feather" to 1. Now here comes the hard part: zoom in to where youre quite close on just a small section of the pic. Close enough that you can see the indevidual pixels. Then click once right on the edge of the pic you want to save, i.e. right on the edge of the brides dress, but you will notice there will be a slightly faded kinda glow between the dress and the background you want to cut out, so make sure youre only just on the dress side of the glow. then click along the outlines of the people, occasionally moving completely away from them to just close that box with the lassoo, delete that part of the pic, and start again until you have gone all the way around.

I hope this helps, its easy to understand if you know what Im talking about..

If you would like to send me the pic, Ill do it for you and take some screen captures of the process so you can see exactly what I mean

all the best
Matt

T

The Monk

wow cheers Matty I`ll send it tonight mate, its not a paid job just a picture for a friend

B

Big Rik

"another photo that looks nice is a close up of the hands in black and white, but the rings left in colour.

like this

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/aouten/DSCF4707.jpg"

How do they do that?

Thanks

alan

Reaction score
Rik, I use cs2, but the others should be roughly the same.

Open the picture and carry out all your usual crops etc.

Select the pen tool, on the top tool bar select paths.

Zoom in and follow the shape of the rings clicking to set the ?anchor points? the closer they are the better it looks.

Once you have got back to your starting point, click on the start point to finish the selection.

Right click the mouse and select make selection, in the book that opens make sure feather radius is set to 0, click ok.

The selected area should now have a flashing black and white border.

Go to the select menu and click inverse.

Go to the image menu, select adjustments then click desaturate.

The picture should turn black and white leaving the rings (or selected area in colour)

hope that helps. if not i can do it for you if you want.

Matty C

Reaction score
no worries monk.. sent when ever you can Ill have it done the next day or so, depending what time you send it..

B

Big Rik

Thanks Alan.
Think it would look absolutely fantastic with a fish in colour and the captor and background in B&W.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I done quite few images of plants, trees and mushrooms, that kind of thing mixing black & white and colour.

I copied the entire image, converted it to black & white then pasted it back over the original colour version.

This gives a two layered image and using the brush tool you can bring the colour back through on any bit of the image you like.

When you're happy just flatten the layers and save in whatever format you like.

I can't remember without looking but you have to change the brush settings from the normal default ones. There is a list of options like 'normal', 'colour', 'darken', 'lighten', etc...

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I like the name of the file when you hover mouse over it!

T

The Monk

wow, thanks very much Matty, what a brilliant job, she`ll be dead chuffed