rivers rising

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Just got back home and the river lea is slowly rising.
So if your near a river let us know what its like for the start of the season.

And good luck for the big start.

C

Cakey

Where abouts are you Ray ?
did you get the thunder storm ...massive
I had to go to Harlow yesterday and thought I wasnt going to get home with all the local flooding

Lea not so bad these days with the flood relief channel when I was a lot younger I c*n*ed up Stanstead Abbotts high street quite a few times that was a laugh

gerry h

Reaction score
its looking like the dane's a wash out till next week anyway 'i guess we will all have to wait a little for decent sport

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I passed over the R Wear about 2pm-ish Thursday (Cocken Bridge for those who know the river) and it looked to have about an extra 6ft in and was a horrible coffee colour, and its hardly stopped raining since.
The Chester le Street Test match is alo a wash-out :eek:(

C

Cakey

the Lea is calming down a bit still lots of colour and lots of eddys at weed beds etc

Paul C

Reaction score
This is handy if you want an idea of the levels on the Severn. Click

It's a webcam of the bridge in the centre of Bridgenorth.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
A case of mixed blessings, I guess.

River Don is over its banks at Kilnhurst. Flooding into local primary school playground.

River Dearne bank top but well inside the outer flood banks.

River Wharfe at Taddy is about 8 foot up, again top of normal scour butr not into the fields just yet.

The Trent will be rising for while time yet but expect BIG water.

Loads of trees, weed and general debris coming down on all the rivers I've seen today.

Really glad I'd no plans to fish this weekend.

Doesn't look too good for this season's fry, does it? But at least the parents get slightly longer to recover from their spawning exertions.

Should be perfect soon.

Hosepipe ban anytime soon?

Beecy

Reaction score
ive just had a walk over to the Don (neepsend), its higher now than at any time during last winter, all sorts of crap coming down.

Ive allready cancelled my day off on monday, was going to the Trent but will wait till next weekend now.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Sheffield and B'ham flooded, thats the first wash they've had for years, always happens doesn't it? You get all geed up to fish the rivers at the start of the season and the heavens conspire to thwart you, he ain't a fishing god thats for sure!

I suppose you can say that the rivers will get a good flush and it will put some oxygen into the slower ones but I don't fancy anyones chances on the river tomorrow wherever they are. Its back to the cooker for you Swordsey I'm afraid.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
River lea not looking good colour wise, and the level is not that bad.

Cakey,

I am in goffs oak, herts.
I was out wednesday night, could see the storm on the other side of the pit, i did'nt get a drop. Two hours later it started again and this time i got it.

And i blanked.

Got the storm last night to.

Anyone know about the ouse? i heard it was up but not heard much since.

Thanks everyone for the support and info on this thread.

gerry h

Reaction score
river dane is up 1ft+ according to daves of middlewich ,but is very coloured so need to give it a miss for now ,as i think it will come up a bit more

J

john conway

The Spate Rivers of the Northwest can rise and fall very quickly, a rise and fall of 2 metres has been recoded within 24 hrs. Last night at 16:00hrs the river was 0.5M ANSL and rising and this morning it was 0.48 ANSL and rising, however, it has rained hard for most of the morning. This afternoon 16:30hrs I?ve no figures yet from Rivercall ??? my guess is it will be between 1 & 2 metres ANSL and hopefully falling.
With the weather coming in from the East most of the rain has been dumped on the East side of the Pennines. It is quite possible that we will be able to fish the Ribble on the opening dayof the season if no more rain falls in the next 12 hours.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll be out tonight.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Avon and Severn were fishable and in good form earlier today, at least lower down.........just waiting for an update.

gerry h

Reaction score
i dont think its the level of the river so much ,its the amount of solids and debris washed into the river ,im sure the fish had their summer clothes on till the rain came and will take a couple of days to find their fins.have a look at the forecast it looks like more rain tonight even thou the sun is shinning thro my loft windows!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
We might have crossed paths in the tackle shop, i go to simpsons and oakwood.

Just heard the ouse is to the top, so i am back to the lakes this weekend.

C

Cakey

yeah I use simpsons and ross's in hodd and sometimes oakwood in wgc