Atmospheric Pressure - How important

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I think its been a pretty lean spell for most barbel anglers over the past couple of months.

Just the odd spell of good conditions with a rising river and some colour. However, I have noted that even then, when accompanied by high pressure 1020 ish it has still been tough.

The chub however seem to have fed pretty well (low and clear...sight feeders mainly)

How important is Atmospheric pressure to you and your fishing?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
wouldnt have a clue...temp, flow and colour would be the first 3 i would start with..years back match fishing on canals and drains for roach we classed it as very important, once went to a talk by graham smith the squatt wizard and his whole days fishing tactics were pretty much based around it

maceo

Reaction score
Not at all important. It's just a case of when I'm able to get a session in and making the most of the conditions that exist on that particular day.

The only things that would stop me are it being too cold or too windy.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

Not at all Graham, most angler have limited time and get out fishing when they can.

Be it high or low pressure, heatwave or artic conditions, most anglers go when they can.

I use to fish with a mate of yours who swore by temperature of the water and was put off if it was too cold ?

I asked him if he would still be fishing if it was too cold, he replied " Yes ".

Then don't take the temperature I said and I don't think he has since !!

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score

Not at all, though I've little doubt it has an effect on the fish. I don't do water temperatures and I don't go checking the met for anything other than precipitation, temperature and wind. I'm only really bothered by the latter unless the temperature dictates that a stillwater could have a lid on it.

cg74

Reaction score
I'm with the previous posters, as I'm quite sure it does have a bearing but apart from how air pressure influences the weather I've never really considered it any further, same as phases of the moon.

There are so many factors that interlink, if we're not careful we could convince ourself to never go and even if all those factors were perfect, there's still no guarantees of catching.
The only factors I look at are; air temp trends over the past 3-5 days, rainfall over the same sort of period and maybe the wind if its been blowing a gale.

Graham, you talk of "a pretty lean spell for most barbel anglers over the past couple of months."

Would you really expect anything else? We've had one of the longest periods of winter mild stability I've known. I've not targetted barbel for about a month but a few mates of mine (down your neck of the woods) have been and though sport has been slow, they've been catching steadily and its been the bigger girls coming out.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Colin

You said

"Graham, you talk of "a pretty lean spell for most barbel anglers over the past couple of months."

Would you really expect anything else? We've had one of the longest periods of winter mild stability I've known. I've not targetted barbel for about a month but a few mates of mine (down your neck of the woods) have been and though sport has been slow, they've been catching steadily and its been the bigger girls coming out. "

I'm glad we agree. I'm fortunate also in getting lots of reports from pals and confim its been far slower than most seasons given the conditions. It's also the time when many of the bigger fish show, as they need to eat more.

I'm still interested to hear others views on the subject. It would seem its not very important to most.

Graham

cg74

Reaction score
Graham, I've just re-read my post, sorry if it comes across bolshy, it wasn't intended that way.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
No Problem Colin.

I just wondered if anyone had been doing any loose analysis as I have over the past couple of seasons and come to any conclusions beyond water temperature, flow, colour etc.

I realise I am fortunate to fish 3-4 times a week.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Graham...your a silly old *****, too much time on your hands!

get out and fish more, if your only doing 3-4 days a week and you still aint got a clue you need to step up to a least 5-6...day off to tie a hook or two and off you go again.

rumour as it your your going for the top aschelons of the chub study group..air pressure and all that?.....

p.s ny spelling is **** ...dyslexia kickin in again :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Jason. I think you will find that I don't engage with posters that seem to illustrate they have just one brain cell when a serious angling point is up for discussion...but just this once...

Its those sort of responses, along with continous "spamming" and raising the BS subject in nearly every post from one individual who has been banned from 2 barbel sites in the past for the same and breaking the rules, that IMO means serious, intelligent discussions and the exchange of views are often limited.

Its a real shame for those on FM who would like change.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hope nobody believes the lies this "man" has always peddled, and his backstabbing approach to anybody who disagrees that his is the only way.

I've told you before Elliott and I'll tell you again publicly,the more you have a dig at me, the more I'll dig back.
You will notice, as you look on my blog as least twice a day, that I haven't even mentioned you since you went quiet.
And you know crying to my collegues with your faux innocence, cracks no ice with them.

I know more about your antics than anybody will ever have the courage to tell, but I will!
So, you just carry on.

My job is to publicise the Barbel Society, I will carry on doing that wherever and when ever I can, even if you and your mates try to *silence me.
I have a thick skin and it seems to me you're just plain thick if you don't know that by now.

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
You are losing it Fred. Its only fishing. It does appear however you recognised yourself...........that says it all.

I just want FM Barbel bit to be a place thats as good as other parts of it.

Your pervasive presence in all things Barbel on here is quite frankly, putting many off. Its not as if you can catch them.
As you just said "My job is to publicise the Barbel Society, I will carry on doing that wherever and when ever I can, "

Thats what I said and glad you agree re spamming.

Go on holiday for a time, change your name back to Boney, do something except stay on the internet all the time waiting for a publicity chance that again loses more members.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perfectly sane, only a fishing, quite right, but you should use it as that, not for a personal vendetta against somebody who found you out!

It is a perfectly good barbel site. If people knew you they would have their sick bags ready at what you claim to want!!

I give no real opinions in respect of barbel fishing only my own way of doing it.
You however have come on as a spoiler since your start in an attempt to get me off.
12000 posts show that I have been accepted for what I am or say, you however, with your five minutes of membership, have a lot to learn on how this site see's individuals like yourself.

As for spamming, the site and it's team are fully aware of what I am here for, and my use has their approval.

The other site I was banned from,(for alledged spamming)had moderators with, shall I say alternative loyalties.
They didn't stop the spoilers, and that lead me to steer details of information requested by posters direct to the Barbel Society site.
The very same site, I may say, you cried and threatened not to post on, on many occasions, because you were seen for what you are.

Soon after that very same site changed to real names only.

sam vimes

Reaction score
12000 posts show that I have been accepted for what I am or say, you however, with your five minutes of membership, have a lot to learn on how this site see's individuals like yourself.

Fred,
One way or another, I don't care for your spat but please don't generalize to include me in any way shape or form.

sam vimes

Reaction score
"Sam", you were the last person on my mind, if I hadn't been accepted I wouldn't be here!

Fred,
I rather suspected I would be;), but it's grossly unfair for you to suggest how a general membership of a whole board see either you or Graham. Have your disagreement by all means. Don't unilaterally decide that everyone is all for you and all against Graham. I really couldn't give a damn whether you are accepted or not and I don't care how you think others perceive Graham.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Perhaps "Sam" I should have defined "site", by that, I meant those that look after and provide it for the rest of us.

Aye,
perhaps that would have read better. Feel free to carry on with your tiff.:p
It should make for a marginally more interesting Friday evening than I was anticipating.:D