One reel for two different rods ?

Jeremy

Reaction score
I have just acquired a couple of Airflo Delta rods at a bargain price - an 8 foot 4/5 and a 9 foot 5/6.

I was planning on putting a #4 DT line on the small one and a #6 WF on the bigger one.

I hear that Shakespeare lines and Leeda reels are cost effective ?

Would I get away with a single reel and two spools ?

S

Shrek

Yes, you'll find some manufacturers do a #4-6 reel, Okuma are one I think.

Shakespeare lines are very good, the Worcestershire range being a very popular line too.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Thanks.

I just found the Okuma Airframe review - looks very nice - I wish I had one for my 7/8 rod ..

I'm guessing I could do with something without drag for my lightweight outfits - maybe making them a bit lighter ?

Trisantona

Reaction score
You will definately need a ratchet or drag for trouting as a fit rainbow can rip yards of line off causing overruns and snarl ups even with a drag.!!!!

Jeremy

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I can see how a decent drag is going to help on the 6 weight when fishing stocked ponds ...
(maybe it would also get me out of trouble if I hook something unexpected on the 4 weight).

... I just wish I wasn't stuck with a cheapie reel on my Masterline 8 weight outfit.

I'm spending a not insignificant amount of dosh and I haven't even cast a fly in anger yet !

S

Sean Meeghan

Try a Shakespeare Alpha reel. They cost about ?15 (or less in some shops) come in various sizes, have a disc brake, a spare spool and are reasonably light. I've got 2 and they've been really reliable.

S

Sean Meeghan

In fact there's a picture of one in my recent Trout fishing article!

E

Evan

If you want light weight then look out for the Leeda LC range, LC50 / LC60 / LC80 and LC100....

No longer in production but a few new examples lurk around in the dark corners of some tackle shops and they are well sought after items on egay. Light weight, brilliantly simple and foolproof with excellent and problem free interchangeable spool system.

The LC60 is the size you want for those lines.... see:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

I am equally a fan of the Okumas, but they aren't quite as featherweight as the LC's

U pays yr money and....

M

MarkTheSpark

You might get away with the same reel on both rods, but it depends on how close the line ratings are. If the 6/7 is happier with a 7 and the 4/5 with a 4, you might need two reels, as the bigger line will overfill a small reel, leaving no room for backing. A bigger reel will be too hefty for the smaller rod.

I take your point about not being a bottomless pit of money, but I don't really think ?30 is pushing the boat out; if you do, then ebay your way to happiness.

E

Evan

That's why I pointed him in the direction of the LC 60 in size - it will take a 7 with adequate backing and a 4 will obviously fit perfectly well on a second spool with a chunk more backing to bulk it out.....

Though I tend to agree that two reels are a hell of a lot better than one reel and a spare spool when you have two rods.

Who in reality ever breaks down one rod to fish the other.... Mind you, not likely to be that many occasions when swapping between a 7 and a 4. Though come to think of it, that's not true, could easily be fishing a 7 deep sinker from a boat when a hatch of small stuff starts. So ignore previous rambling, deffo two reels if you can.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Thanks all,

I have plenty of ideas now to make a good choice... probably one reel and two spools for now, and a second one later :)