What's the Advantage of Having a Footplate on a Seatbox?

maceo

Reaction score
I can see a few disadvantages, such as the extra weight to carry to your swim, making the box unbalanced through the weight, not being able to fit it into really tight pegs and providing something to trip over while you're moving around, but what are the advantages?

The only one I can think of is keeping your feet out of the cold and wet. Are there others or should footplates be left to locomotive drivers?

I'd love to get a new seatbox because the one I have now is one of those old metal ones which weighs a ton and has plain legs which instantly sink and disappear into the mud.

However, looking at what's available they all seem to have winder trays, pole seats and footplates and I'm wondering whether they're going to be suitable for me or whether they're designed for carpers fishing on commercials.

I almost always fish rivers and I don't own a pole and don't have any desire to have one. All I'm looking for is something smart, light and comfortable into which I can fit my tackle, bait, flask and sandwiches.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance as always.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Given that the major benefit of a footplate on today's modern boxes is to ensure that your thighs are parallel to the ground when pole fishing, then I wonder if a modern seat box is what you need for river fishing.

I never use my Preston X6 Box on the rivers (unless pole fishing on just one particular venue) preferring to use a ruckbag and a chair. Together I would suggest that they are lighter, more convenient and better suited to river fishing.

Just my own preference, others will differ.

sam vimes

Reaction score
looking at what's available they all seem to have winder trays, pole seats and footplates and I'm wondering whether they're going to be suitable for me or whether they're designed for carpers fishing on commercials.

Point of order, "carpers" doesn't conjure an image of anyone using a seatbox to me. Bivvies, bite alarms etc, yes, but not seatboxes. While many may fish for carp using poles and seatboxes on commercial waters that doesn't make them carpers.

If all I did was river fishing in a non-match fishing scenarios, I'd not use a seatbox let alone a seatbox with a footplate. The main advantages of a footplate is when pole fishing. The other circumstances where I may wish to use one would be on a river or stillwater where a seatbox is used positioned in shallow water.

maceo

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.

Sam - that's me exactly. River fishing and non-match. So what would you use instead in that situation? A rucksack and chair like Peter suggests?

Peter - Do you mind me asking what rucksack/bag and chair you use?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.

Sam - that's me exactly. River fishing and non-match. So what would you use instead in that situation? A rucksack and chair like Peter suggests?

Rucksack and chair for me too. Far more comfortable and easier to carry. The rucksack I use is an old Karrimor, I really don`t see the need to buy something with a fishing brand attached to it. My chair is the bargain basement carp chair from DC for £10. It`s light and I`ve sat in it for 8-9 hours with no discomfort. Some of the more expensive chairs might be more comfortable but I think most of them are heavier too. Depends on your budget and whether you want any accessories for the chair I guess.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Like Sam I use the Korum Ruckbag and the Lightweight Accessory Chair.

The Chair takes the Korum range of accessories and also all of the Preston ones too which makes it very versatile. You get all of the benfits of a Seat Box but without the cumbersome nature of one.

I use a lot of Korum products and have never had a problem so I would definitely recommend them.

maceo

Reaction score
Invaluable advice thanks chaps.

Looking at ordering the Korum ruckbag (£36.89) and lightweight chair (£55.99) tomorrow. All the reviews I've seen are really good and watched the videos on You Tube too.

Hopefully that'll be the end of having to stop every 10 paces to hoik the seatbox and rod bag straps up onto my shoulders!

The TFG compact box looks good, but I like the idea of having a tray attached to the chair for the bait. Kicked far too much bait into the mud and grass by having the boxes spread around on the ground!

Thanks again to all for the advice.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The TFG compact box looks good, but I like the idea of having a tray attached to the chair for the bait. Kicked far too much bait into the mud and grass by having the boxes spread around on the ground!

There are plenty of add ons for the Korum kit.

laguna

Reaction score
I like the Korum luggage range and good value too IMHO.
Another option would be a shooting stool and a separate unbranded rucksack!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can also fit the chair onto the ruckbag too; it is one of those things that is so easy to 'show' but very difficult to describe in words.

I makes the chair into a sort of a 'frame' for the ruckbag and you hardly know it is there.

On my chair I usually fit a groundbait bowl and a side tray for baits, and carry the Korum Bait and Bits bag too.

I think that the Korum range is very good value and they make some excellent pieces of kit.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial connection with the Company but am simply a very satisfied customer.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I'll throw the middy chair into the ring as well. Been very happy with mine, and am currently sourcing matching bag which takes net, chair and tackle box.

maceo

Reaction score
Right.

I've ordered the Korum Standard Accessory Chair, the XL ruckbag, the side tray and a couple of bait boxes to fit it. Should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday next week they say.

I know that the Standard chair and the XL version of the ruckbag are going to be a bit heavier than the lightweight chair and normal ruckbag, but I'm not that much of a rover. I'll move if there's no bites at all after a couple of hours, but generally speaking, once I'm parked at a peg the fish have to come to me rather than me chase them....

I'm sure they'll be as good as all the reviews say, but once I've tried them out I'll let you know on here.

So it's goodbye and good riddance to the half ton "Sportvisser Albatross" metal seatbox. I've bought a new Daiwa rod holdall too, so the old canvas one from the 1960s can also be retired. Perhaps I'll go and advertise them on tradtionalfisherman.com. They love those sort of things...