Shore Fishing

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Seeing as it is holiday season I thought it might be a good time to start a thread for all the FM folk who might fancy wetting a line while on the beach this summer,so come on give us some information please on were any beginners or seasoned sea dogs can go and wet a line this summer off our coast line.What species present and basic tackle required for the area would be great.
I would personally like some info on the Bournemouth if anyone knows info would be appreciated thanks chaps .Gav.

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

bristol channel (porlock,minehead,burnham and weston areas all offer beach fishing opprtunities.species are:smoothound,dogfish,conger,bass and flatfish,mackerel and black bream and pollack at bossington beach nr porlock.
south coast areas from lyme regis to weymouth is good beach fishing,especially at chesil,where mackerel,plaice and bass can be caught in the daylight with soles and smoothound at night.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Cheers levels ,I recently went to Tremadog Bay North Wales the area is teeming with sea life flounder were plentiful ,I even caught.The shoals of mackeral were everywere ,bass are also worth ago I got told.We even saw dolphins right were I had waded out to fish ,now that is a sight .

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
anyone know the same information on elie or earsferry near st andrews, fife

alan

Reaction score
the solent area.
swarming with mackeral from all the beaches 1st and last light best.
late evening tide very good chance of smouthounds, crab is best bait.
large mackeral baits fished close in, chance of good bass, at distance chance of a tope.
westen solent chance of stingrays
central solent/gosport area chance of thornback rays.

M

MarkTheSpark

Gav. My neck of the woods (mum still lives in Dorset). Get on a skippered boat out in Poole Harbour after the bass. Brilliant sport with sandeel, lures and the like.

Go for the thin-lipped mullet in Christchurch Harbour with your usual hefty coarse gear.

Drive 20 miles as far as Kimmeridge Bay for an early morning high tide and fish the ledges for bass with lures (braid, fluoro leader, 'minnow' style plugs, and others).

Or have real fun on any place where the mackerel boys gather by using your big pit reel loaded with braid, carp rod, 2/3oz bomb and the best 'feathers' you can find (or make a string of your own). You don't want more than three or four on each rig. You know the technique. The diff with using braid is that you actually get the feathers down to where they are faster and better than the mono cheapskates.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Kris it may be best to post a thread with the beach details on .
Thanks Alan and Mark it is not my usual forte but I thought I better get some done before there are no fish left to angle for(dig over).
Do the thin lipped go for bread like the other mullet ?

M

MarkTheSpark

Thin-lips in Christchurch harbour are usually caught on a Mepps baited with an inch or two of ragworm. But I'm sure they'd take other things. I'm no expert on Christchurch, Gav, (caught hundreds of mullet elsewhere, though) so probably best to get the lowdown from someone down there. Just suggested it because it's close to Bournemouth.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Gav, if you are interestred in Christchurch Harbour drop me a PM.As well as thin-lips it is the Adams Mill equivalent of the much heavier and exciting thick lips when they choose to put in an appearence.Very nice spot too.

chris hall

Reaction score
hello gav,Ive managed to wrangle 2 night up dumfries and galloway this weekend. the shore fishing round here is great. Ive fished on the mull of galloway on all different marks and at the isle of whitthorn. the species that can be caught include; thornback rays, plaice, red cod pollack wrasse, conger, tope, dogfish, mackerel, coalfish haddock turbot, sea trout, bass and occasionally tub gurnard. most of therse species can be caught from shore but getting out on a boat is the best thing to do to catch the bigger fish.

Ive been going up there for several years and Im still finding new marks to fish. Its abut 4 hours drive from chorley. Oh I havnt been up to elton res yet, as I want to get this weekend out of the way, and fix my bike.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Hi Chris ,sounds great .People don't really think about going up there for the fishing but it certainly sounds worth the trip.I am more of a carp rod for the flatties man ,but I wish we had something similar nearer to home as I would definatly become a sea dog.Thanks for the post Chris and have a good un and let us know how you get on.Nice part of the world as well.

chris hall

Reaction score
carp rods are usefull up there too. I use a pike rod for the wrasse and pollack on the float, and you can use them for bass over clean ground. If it can cast 4 or 5 oz you should get some great light tackle sport. Alot of people drive straight up for scotland and miss this area, there is good course fishing round the area too.Where im stopping has 2 course lochs and a trout loch right behind the hotel plus there are more lochs 2 miles down the road for day tickets. Definately worth a visit gavin