Why is it...

• Thread starter John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.
  • Start date
J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

After staying last night in Wakefield after taking the wife's mother back home I called into a couple of local tackle shops on the way back to Durham.

Neither had another customer in but I was treaded like an idiot in both shops.
At the first I tried to start a conversation by saying that I bought my first ever maggots from the old Fred Alexander, he did not even reply.
I then asked if he had any Kamazan wide gape hooks in sizes 2/4/6's, I even gave the model No,B983. They are all wide gape in those sizes was his reply.

In the other I just picked up the odd bits and pieces I wanted after receiving the same 'warm' welcome.

Thank God there are mail order companies like Fosters of Birmingham and bait companies such as TemeSevern.

J

Jeff Spiller

Some of these shop's don't have a clue about customer service/just being friendly and then they have the cheek to moan when they close down.

S

Scott Whatmore

I know exactly what you mean John.

I am very lucky and have 5 tackle shops within 2 miles of home.

At one, Judd's of Hillingdon*. The bloke in there seems to have it in for me. He always looks at me funny and is so curt that you'd think I'd been banging his old lady or something (I haven't by the way).
Now I won't go in there unless it is absolutely necessary, which is more rare than hens teeth! Shame on you, Judd's of Hillingdon.

His loss, is the other 4 shop's gain.

When working in Hatfield I pop into Old Hatfield Angling Centre when I can. The bloke in there is a top banana. Always has a welcome for you and a smile on his face. I pop in for a mooch and a chinwag whenever I can. I always buy something, which is a lesson Judd's of Hillingdon should learn.

*Not to be confused with Judd's of Ruislip which is a very friendly and helpfull place.

mick boswell

Reaction score
I agree with the Fosters sentiment. I have visited about 5 times in the last few weeks and I have to say that that the staff were polite, knowledgeable and didn't treat me like an imbecile. Nobody was effing & blinding trying to impress their mate who had just popped in for some pinkies. Nobody was smoking and blowing it across the counter in my face. And when I asked for something it wasn't met with "forget that, what you want is this". All this happened to me on saturday when I visited a more local outlet.

Another very local tackle shop believes it's more important to start a conversation with his mate in the queue behind me rather than give me advice on a few issues.Like I wasn't there, an inconvenience maybe?

When I was a kid and went into Barry Brookes of Northfield for bits & bobs they respected the fact that children were around and kept language clean. I'm a man of the world but hearing foul language when I am giving someone business annoys me no end.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
John we've got a couple like that down here too.......Avon Aquatics at Jarrets Garden centre is the worst! Name and shame time ;-)

They watch me like a hawk as if I'm gonna rob them, which I am not!

Nick at Keynsham angling centre is an absolute star, he's always got time for a chat and has helped me immensly. Good on you Nick, that's the way tackle shops should be run. Veals in Bristol is another brilliant shop, it has a huge stock and you can haggle.

The next time you walk into a bad un John drop a famous angler/celeb name into the conversation.........."Bub Nudd told me you were very helpful in here, oh well, he must have meant the other tackle shop down the road, bye".

pcpaulh

Reaction score
My local tackle shop has 2 guys one always very friendly, the others ok to me but a bit like someone of grumpy old men. I've been going in there for the last 3/4 years or so and spend almost all the money I have in there.

Then the other day when I asked about getting a carp rod they tried to flog me a dragon carp thick as a drain pipe job. It had terrible eyes on it, weighed a ton and just oozed crap. Worst thing was the price tag was 50 squid (my pound sign doesn't work). But for me 40.

I just thought that really took the mick that they'd tried to flog me such rubbish when I shop regually and order all my rods or reels in there. On the net the thing cost a tenner.

Now I know tackle shops have margins but I thought this was ridiculous. Peed me off no end that they tried to con me and as a result the rod I've decided on will be coming of the net. For a cheaper price.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
These guys are probably the same tackle shop owners that wonder why they have to close down because the web is taking all 'their' trade.

keora

Reaction score
Tackle shops vary a lot - some are condescending to customers, and prefer to chat to their favourite customers. The chat usually includes lots of f words. Ask them for advice on fisheries and they'll trot out the names of a couple of commercial waters and that's all you'll get.

stikflote

Reaction score
we have three very good tackle shops in derby, all three of them call me by my first name and none of them try to push things ,tho one will always say if you want that one, compare it with this other one before you buy makes sense

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I seem to remember the tackle shop in Derby I used to get into when I took my lad and his mates to Donnington for the rock festivals was always very helpful. The one in Stoney Stratford likewise.