EA license check..

S

Scott Whatmore

Me, 1st time this season was Saturday, and that was the 3rd time this year!

Clansman .

Reaction score
I was checked once about 7 years ago. I have never seen a bailiff since.

Nik Foad

Reaction score
I fish in and around the Thames Valley area - mostly on commercials and I've been checked at least 5 times and this is only my second season as a fisherman.
I've never been checked on a river though.

I have no problem with it.

Bubble

Reaction score
I've benn checked twice in nearly 30 years of fishing (Now i feel old). I thought about becoming a baliff once, must spend most of your time on holiday lol.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head Nik. I've been checked twice in 35 years, the last time was on a com' about 4 years ago.

Why should E.A bailiffs bother with rivers, unless they are fitness freaks!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Never been checked and I don't expect to any time soon.Anyway they should be putting there resources into stocking fish and making sure fish have suitable spawning grounds and the like not chasing law abiding citizens like us about who are just out for a quiet days fishing.

W

Wolfman Woody

If you fish commercial waters you're more likely to be checked. Seems to be the thinking that if you're a club member, you're also more likely to hold a licence. There's also the problem of getting on some club waters which are under lock and key.

However, we could have done with one tonight. It's been reported to me that a bunch of skinheads around 16/17 were fishing a private stretch and showed the owner a rod licence that was two years out of date. There's never one around whenn you want one, is there?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Never been asked, the EA should check all waters that is part of their job, and that's why so many don't buy a licence cos they know most of the EA don't care.

I have been fishing for 45 years, why should i have to pay for a licence to fish when every other tom, **** and harry can use the water ways for nothing.

Let's drop the Rod licence and call it a water licence. That way everyone would have to buy one if using the waterways.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have been fishing since i was 12, im now 58.When i was 16 we went to llanamanarc on the R Severn 58 of us on a coach,a bailiff came round and asked us for our licences, out of 58 of us only my mate Alan Jones had a licence, we all got fined ?20 each,4 weeks wages in them days, since then i have never been without a licence ,and i still, have never been asked since that day.

yes Ray do you think that it would make any difference if you called it a water licence, you would still get the same percentage that would not buy one,

paul martin 7

Reaction score
I was last checked about 6 years ago, the really annoying thing for me is, I live literally 15 feet from my local river Nene, I have seen numerous people fishing illegally in the close season, all Eastern Europeans, taking anything they catch away.I have approached a couple of them to explain they are fishing out of season but suddenly they cant understand English. I have never seen a bailiff here but I bet if I didnt have a rod licence I would get done immediately. Indeed there was a letter in last weeks AT about the very same subject i.e. illegal fishing,the police say they are powerless to stop it so what is the solution?

W

Wolfman Woody

The licence is to "use a rod", a bit like a gun licence.

If you called it a water licence or anything similar, even more anglers would assume that's all they required to fish any water they wished to.

Right now the EA in our area produce posters that state "YOU NEED A ROD LICENCE TO FISH THIS WATER". Quite wrong, you need permission as well.

C

Cakey

The EA have a shack in Broxbourne near one of my favourite perch swims so I get checked oddles of times
Wol reckons its because I live in the bronx

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
I am aware that this post in not strictly in accord with the original spirit of the thread but in light of Paul Martins comments about the taking of fish and many other comments of a similar nature that I have read over the months I pondered the legitimacy of taking fish from waterways in general terms an act which, as an angler, I don't subscribe to.

Who makes the rules and who enforces them.

Enough said, I phoned the EA and was directed me to the EA website to look for the national fishing bylaws. Having found them without too much difficulty I have just spent a fascinating half hour reading what you can and can't take from rivers and other waterways and what you can and can not do in general terms. For instance I was unaware that when I fish the Thames that if I catch a Zander I must make a written report of the fact within 14 days to the authority. Of course I am aware that many of these bylaws are covered in club rules but even the a club that owns or rents the water must comply with the minimum of the bylaws

I will write no more for fear of you all glazing over because you know all this stuff but if you want an interesting read here is the link:-

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/246986/255175/271962/?version=1&lang=_e

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
The link in this thread works for me Cakey and I have just cheked to one on the new thread in General fishing and it works too If you have a problem I'll do it again - Clive