garden pond safety please help

S

solar

A few years ago i managed to peswade the missus to let me build a pond,only a small one well its 7ft wide by 9ft long and 4ft deep more oval shape.
All was going well the plants have since grown well and all the fish are growing on well, my only problem seems to be outside the pond.
My sister-in -laws 2yr old little boy really loves this pond,which is great but you cant have eyes in the back of your head.So i need to do somthing to scure the pond,i dont really want to change the shape of the pond,and not put up a 3ft fence.
Just wondered if anyone else has any ideas?

tight lines.

T

The Monk

yes, dont invite the suster in law round. I have 4 ponds in my garden and the neighbours were worried about their kids coming into my garden, so I said I`ve put one of those lifebouy things up, my deepest pond goes over 5ft and it has a few big catfish in it, I think they`ve scared the shit out of most of the parents round here anyway. Young children need supervising near ponds, their is no other option really, I was forever falling in ponds and the canal as a small children, fortunately I survied (I think)

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I would say you have two options Solar.........

Option One: - at approximately six inches above ground level fix a nice 40lb fluoro line on some pointed stakes, one at each corner. This will enable the kid to trip nicely into the pond.

Option Two: - replace the 40lb fluoro with an electric cattle wire. Whilst this might not stop the kids from tripping in, it will stop him getting out.

We foster kids and as much as I would love to use the above tips (at times), we have been told to net the pond. I argued that this would only keep the entangled kid under the water but was advised this was a satisfactory safety feature.

Good luck with your choice!

M

MarkTheSpark

Treat him like a junkyard mutt, and harness him to an immovable object that won't let him reach the pond. My mum used to do that to me, or I wouldn't be here now...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

hobble him --like they used to do with the horses in Dublin

W

Wolfman Woody

A few Claymoor mines strategically placed around the pool will keep him out. I hate kids disturbing the fish.

T

The Monk

thats an obscene suggestion!

How would anyone have the heart to fill a pond in?

gerry h

Reaction score
put some 4x4 steel reinforcing mesh over the pond a couple of inchs above the surface ,after a while you wont even no its there .better still keep the kid out of your garden as stats say that most kids that drown in ponds are only visiting the premises