Rolling meat in Winter

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
What are your opinions of this method in winter folks?

Great method in summer, would it be fair to say less successful in the winter when the barbel may be more static?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Steve.

Very effective and will often ellicit a response from fairly torpid fish. I always use a good dusting of Cajun powder on my meat especially in coloured water.

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
Hi Steve.

Very effective and will often ellicit a response from fairly torpid fish. I always use a good dusting of Cajun powder on my meat especially in coloured water.

Cheers Graham that's good to hear. I'm on the Dove later today and I will definitely use your tip about the cajun powder :)

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Steve , it works any time of year , dont be cautious get out and do it. braid to 20lb , big lump of meat and patience.

Bendsomecane

eddyfish

Reaction score
A naturally moving bait will out fish a still bait 9 times out of 10 especially in winter.

Use the braid as a main line but be careful in heavy flows as the fine braid is designed as a main line not a hook link. Recently, I have been using an unstriped coated braid hooklink as its not only kinder to the fish but help prevent tangles too :)

Lump of plastercine as wieght but you'll be surprised how little you need even on a flooded Hants Avon. I usual start off with a piece about the size of a
10p and see where that takes me.

Bites are.... well you'll see... more often then not you strike out of sheer instinct and I certainly cannot tell you in writing what is a bite and whats just it moving along the bottom.

Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why you fished for barbel any other way.

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
A naturally moving bait will out fish a still bait 9 times out of 10 especially in winter.

Use the braid as a main line but be careful in heavy flows as the fine braid is designed as a main line not a hook link. Recently, I have been using an unstriped coated braid hooklink as its not only kinder to the fish but help prevent tangles too :)

Lump of plastercine as wieght but you'll be surprised how little you need even on a flooded Hants Avon. I usual start off with a piece about the size of a
10p and see where that takes me.

Bites are.... well you'll see... more often then not you strike out of sheer instinct and I certainly cannot tell you in writing what is a bite and whats just it moving along the bottom.

Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder why you fished for barbel any other way.

Cheers Eddy, interesting stuff. I'm sure once I get one under my belt I'll be converted.

Just two questions:

1. Do you use a pin? I'm using a baby baitrunner and paying line off with the runner.

2. Do you think braided line is a must? I use mono as the stretch I fish has many snags.

Cheers, Steve

eddyfish

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I use a fixed spool but I think you may have got trundling and rolling mixed up.

Trundling is a bit like trotting but without a float. Very effective in the right situ but limited to only fishing a rod length out from the bank.

With rolling you cast upstream of yourself at about 10 o'clock. Then you let the current pull the line into a bow without letting anymore line off the reel. With practice the bait will move through the swim in a straight line. It allows you to cover a huge amount of water as you can sometimes "walk" with the bait for some distance.

Keep the rod low and strike HARD as you have to pull the hook through the meat and pick up the big bow in the line. To quote a good friend of mine "Try and put the fish in the field behind you!" :)

It sounds far more complicated then it actually is.

I'm sure there's a youtube video somewhere on it which will explain it a lot better then I can in words :D:rolleyes:

Steve Hurst

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I use a fixed spool but I think you may have got trundling and rolling mixed up.

Trundling is a bit like trotting but without a float. Very effective in the right situ but limited to only fishing a rod length out from the bank.

With rolling you cast upstream of yourself at about 10 o'clock. Then you let the current pull the line into a bow without letting anymore line off the reel. With practice the bait will move through the swim in a straight line. It allows you to cover a huge amount of water as you can sometimes "walk" with the bait for some distance.

Keep the rod low and strike HARD as you have to pull the hook through the meat and pick up the big bow in the line. To quote a good friend of mine "Try and put the fish in the field behind you!" :)

It sounds far more complicated then it actually is.

I'm sure there's a youtube video somewhere on it which will explain it a lot better then I can in words :D:rolleyes:

Think I was doing a mixture of both eddy, rather unsuccessfully :) Might name it trolling meat!

What about the braid mate...a must have or not???

eddyfish

Reaction score
Sorry mate was out fishing lol

Yes I use braid just for the sensitivity it gives but its not vital. A friend of mine has been rolling for years and years (poss before even Ray Walton) and he only uses 10lb maxima.

rolling meat the ray walton way - YouTube

Screaming reels I know but its the best I could find.