Clarissa's favourite reel

Reaction score
**** Walkers famous fish caught on that famous rod, but which reel was used? And Line? Hook,etc. Did the tackle trade miss a great marketing opportunity? B.James did alright with the rod sales, and Ebay is happy now. But the reel. Was it a Mitchell 300, a Hardy Altex, or what? Did I miss the articles all those years ago, perhaps I did. Put me out of my misery, and if I see a life going by, I will grab it.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It is said that Walker never weighed Clarrissa. It was weighed at London zoo.
Also it was suggested that it was weighed incorrectly as the weight included the hessian sack.
And at the time there was no committee for Brittish rod caught records.

T

The Monk

yes there was issues Baz, I`ve heard quite a lot about it from people who were in the know at the time

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Walker weighed her, first set bottomed out at 32lb. They then used two sets and

"by sharing the load between the two we found that, taking into account the weight of the sack, the fish must weigh not less than 41lb".

On arrival at London Zoo they weighed her in at 44lb.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It was Walker himself who suggested that it was weighed incorrectly.
David Hall agreed with what was said in my first post.

Taken from advanced Carp Fishing.
----------------------------------------

I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere in the past that the reel was a Mitchell 300.

F

Frothey

chris ball will know....

as an aside, i was reading through some old threads, and someone commented something along the lines of that "at leaast walkers fish was a 'normal' carp, not one of these fat boilie eating fish"

i might be wrong, but wasnt clarissa still carrying some spawn (even though it was september), yates's 43+ was very heavily spawnbound, as was the bishop/old 37 when caught at 52?
roddy porters mid-northants fish was obviously spawnbound - in terms or record fish its only mary and two-tone that weren't!

two-tones not the prettiest fish on the planet, but its not really got a "boilie gut"......

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
In "No Need to Lie" it states that Walker was using "a 12lb breaking strain plaited nylon line".

The hook size escapes me at the moment, but I've an idea it was an Allcock's Model Perfect...

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm sure Ron once said that Walker was using braid.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Chris Ball 3

Reaction score
Hello all,
The reel **** used to land Clarissa was a 1950 half bail version of the Mitchell egg shaped reel that in 1954 when it received a full bail arm became known as the Mitchell 300.
It is true that the fish was only roughly weighed on the bank. The scales that Walker carried went to 32lb, it was only when **** and Pete tried to get more of an idea as to the size that they came up with trying two sets together, ****?s and a set Pete had with him. The rough weight was stated as 41?lb.
The initial report that appeared a few days after the capture in a Gloucestershire newspaper stated 41?lb and the first announcement in the Fishing Gazette on 20th September 1952 stated, ?This carp was originally estimated at 41?lb, but Mr Walker has now confirmed it as weighing 44lb.
Tackle used was MkIV (No 1) personally made by **** in the winter of 1950/1, Mitchell reel, Finlayson?s ?Green Butterfly? plaited nylon 12lb BS and an Allcock?s Model Perfect hook.
As this information was given at the time I?ve no reason to believe anything to the contrary.

Reaction score
Thank you Chris, I used to see Clarrissa in my local tackle shop in her glass case. I must have missed the details back then (probably out fishing). Mitchell did not need to crow about the capture, they must have had so many records around the world, being "the" reel to have then. I would have guessed at Jack Hilton hook and been wrong. I did buy a reel with braid from Fred Buller way back then, so not so unusual. Many thanks again Chris......but what make of SCALES were they?

I'll get my coat.

Reaction score
And thanks to all for their thoughts and memories. I lost all my books and tackle in a house fire, so could not do any reading up. But who needs a reference library with you lot out there. Thanks for the response folks.

Probably Avon scales anyway.........

Trisantona

Reaction score
**** walker used Mitchels for legering but preffered the Intrepid Elite for trotting as mitchels "went round the wrong way".

F

Frothey

the jack hilton hook partridge made didnt come about till the 80's - its essentially a "pre cut" low water slamon hook, like most used in the 70's

Reaction score
Yes Frothey, thats right. I use Jack Hiltons now,made by Aiken, who have long gone. I forgot how early all this was. They were produced because of Walkers influence. And Mitchell half bales, it was a while after these before the reel became famous, and caught big fish worldwide. So the manufacturers probably did miss a marketing opportunity,or just thought differently . Selling styles were a lot different. Very little press coverage, only a few magazines with low circulation, and slow communication (compared to now). My first reel was a cheap tin Eton Sun centrepin, and my first fixed spool was an Intrepid New Deluxe. What a reel, now I could cast a distance.