Starting Carping Part 13 ? Long Range Casting

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Frofster.
What a brilliant article this is for me. I hope to be making my first foray this weekend at distance casting. With the links you have provided,especially the leader knot, I think there is everything I need to know to get me started again.
What an article, much appreciated.

T

The Monk

excellent article Dave, I`ve certainly got 110% confidence in my tackle

Blunderer

Reaction score
Frothey
As you know, I am going long range fishing on Thursday and having being trying to research casting techniques.
This article is quite superb, particularly the inclusion of video clips which illustrate that the rythmn is what is imprtant rather than all out effort.

One question for you: I know that braid or light mainline gives best casting results. How much difference would you say that a mainline of 12lb would take off the cast? A lot or a little?

Thanks again. Rest assured, I will be trying these techniques this week.

Blunderer

Reaction score
One more question, Frothey, if you don't mind.

How effective is that traditional line to line double tucked blood knot? Not good enough?

B

Big Rik

Good article Frothey, dunno who that fat bloke was in the video clip from the archives though....

Blunderer.
Double tucked blood leaves a big lumpy knot in the line.
Depending on materials and diameters usually determines my connecting knot.

Same diameter monos, then it would be grinner to grinner for me.

C

Cakey

just a quickey.....when you go grinner to grinner how short do you cut the tails ?

B

Big Rik

tight then glued.

It's a barrel shape (good) and the tag end points along the lay of the line, so snipping it off tight makes no difference.
With a blood knot, the line exits from the side of the knot and gives a potential obstruction.

F

Frothey

cheers guys.

20lb Powerpro is about the same diameter as 6lb line, 12lb mono would knock a fair bit off the potential distance - but 120yds should be acheivable. dont forget your rods are fairly light test curve, and with lighter leads that will knock a bit off the distance as well. if you are going to use light mainline, you have to ask yourself if its safe to do so from a landing fish point of view. years ago 6 and 8lb mono was fairly common for distance fishing, but by and large the waters werent as weedy....

Blunderer

Reaction score
Frothey
You have convinced me to go to braid. I need to stack everything in my favour, I think. Sod the hassle and expense.

C

Cakey

Blunderer
Ive 4x shimano big pits loaded with braid Ive also 4x spare spools loaded with 12lb bass pro

best of both worlds..............

F

Frothey

Sod the hassle and expense.

buy a bait boat!

got to ask yourself if its worth it for one trip though....

Blunderer

Reaction score
Bait boats not allowed, Frothey.

My plan is:

Load reel with 20lb braid.

Fish with shockleader and helicopter rig

Use Quicksilver

Attempt the off ground cast.

I will let you know how I get on!!!!

F

Frothey

give it a go with mono for the mo - make sure the rods are up to it....

ps....dont forget the finger stall!

B

Big Rik

half an hour with an instructor or somebody who knows what they are talking about will be worth it's weight in yards

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Just a thought.
If useing braided line, wouldn't dipping the spool in the water to avoid wind knots make the braided line heavier than mono, and then reduce the casting distance?