Fishing byelaws

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
In light of many comments on FM about the taking of fish from rivers. I pondered the legitimacy of taking fish from waterways in general terms an act which, as an angler, I don't subscribe to.

Who makes the rules and who enforces them.

Enough said, I phoned the EA and was directed to the EA website to look for the national fishing bylaws. Having found them without too much difficulty I have just spent a fascinating half hour reading what you can and can't take from rivers and other waterways and what you can and can not do in general terms. For instance I was unaware that when I fish the Thames that if I catch a Zander I must make a written report of the fact within 14 days to the authority. Of course I am aware that many of these bylaws are covered in the rules of many clubs but even the a club that owns or rents the water must comply with the minimum of the bylaws

I will write no more for fear of you all glazing over because you probably know all this stuff but if you want an interesting read about your local regions byelaws here is the link:-

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/246986/255175/271962/?version=1&lang=_e[/url<br

T

The Monk

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, how much of it is enforced however is another matter, the laws are created through parimentary debate, normally through a white paper, first the commons and then the lords and must recieve a royal assent before being finanlised. We have debated the legislation many times on this site of course

T

The Monk

Zander are introduced species and the EA want to monitor their distrobution

Reaction score
I have now rehearsed the Zander rule with the local Thames Region fisheries officer who tells me that Thames Region rule 15 applies mainly to still waters as it is an offence for any owner or lesee of an enclosed warerway within the Thames region to keep Zander in that water without an ILFA licence (Imported Live Fish Act) The authority need, therefore, to be aware of all Zander caught in still water in the region from a licensing perspective. As for Zander in rivers he said that he would be more than happy to see the fish destroyed. The requirement for written notice of any Zander caught in any water to the authority within 14 days is nontheless obligatory and applies to all waters in the region. - Clive

T

The Monk

not easy to enforce, maybe the Zander should fillout their own capture return forms?

Reaction score
Monk - The fisheries officer I spoke to did not even know the rule existed. I had to read it to him and he had to refer the matter to another fisheries officer for a difinitive answer. Anyway, anything over a pound or so will be good on the BBQ.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Clive (Compact Angler ACA) E-mail member
Posted: 21/06/07 16:46:00 PM

About zander;
Anyway,anything over a pound or so will be good for the BBQ.

Clive,sorry but I strongly disagree, what about if I said I will put a barbel or roach on my BBQ, would that be acceptable? Of course not, so why should zander be any different? Just because they may not be everyones cup of tea I and many other anglers get a huge amount of enjoyment in catching them so why should that be taken away from us?
Zander must be the most misunderstood and misrepresented fish of all, most of it stems from sheer ignorance and myth, ''they kill for fun anything that swims.....what a load of rubbish, they only kill to eat, just like any other predator. I have lived near the fens a good part of my life and fished for zander quite a lot so I think I know what I'm talking about.
I believe that NO fish that swims on our waters should be killed or taken for the table, if we say ''oh its only a zander'' we are setting a dangerous precident, why would it be acceptable to single out individual species for killing on the basis that they are predators, after all aren't most fish predators?

This whole post brings me back to a previous post about fish being stolen by Eastern Europeans from my local river, which I see almost daily, we need to make a law that says No fish are to be removed from our rivers, I can just see a bailiff asking someone why he has several large dead roach in his bag, then the guy saying I THOUGHT they were zander............

Reaction score
Sorry Paul - Thanks - You are quite right of course. Having never knowingly killed anything I have ever caught I must say that the joke was in poor taste. Furthermore as a member of ACA there is a commitment to saving fish not destroying them - I'll be more careful my whit in future. I actually don't have a barbecue either. How sad does that make me. - Clive

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Hi Clive, that is a very honest reply, I obviously didnt know you were joking but I know for a fact that some people do think that way.

The fact that I'm seeing fish removal on a regular basis by people who dont even have a bloody rod license really makes my blood boil, something has got to be done about it.

By the way not having a BBQ doesnt make you sad, I'm sad for having one and never using it!