Is it me

C

Cakey

more and more cyclist on our towpaths ?
what gave me the hump the today while on one of my walks I was expected to walk on the grass bits in all the dog poo so they could pass and I thought balls they can go on the grass but they would rather of run me over....................

T

The Monk

cheeky Bast**rds some of them mate and I`m a cyclist, stop them and ask them for a licence, they should have one by law, you can also complaint to British Waterways Board and ask them to send an enforcement officer down because its creating a problem. canal cyclist have to give way to pedestrians by law it says so on the licence

C

Cakey

this is half the problem ..........HERE
and the hut that does the hiring is opposite the EA hut that checks rod licences etc....................

S

Scott Whatmore

Most bikes are a pain in the R's on a canal towpath. Too fast, no patience and some of the blokes with girly bells are just stupid.

Once on my local stretch of the G.U.C a cyclist who'd managed to ride up close before I spotted him got a bit impatient waiting for me to shift my pole.

I turned and said 'excuse me but I have a license to fish, on top of that I've paid to fish here'. 'You however have not contributed anything to the upkeep of the canal so please be patient'.

He thought that saying 'can you just hurry up' would help. It didn't! I had to check every section on the way out and a couple of sections twice ;o)

He called out 'W@nker' as he rode off but I couldn't see the mirror he was looking at!

T

The Monk

British Waterways don`t even mention the licence, amazing

C

Cakey

must admit I cant find it either on the EA site

its same old story...anglers are an easy target

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Totally agree, we do all the paying and the cyclist gets the pleasure. Ive just started taking my 4 1/2 year old grandson fishing and we both nearly ended up in the canal the other evening when 2 cyclists tore along the tow path. I got got my own back the next evening, I took some prunings from a pyrocantha (large thorns) and laid them on the tow path. Oops, got 4 of the bu66ers ha ha

T

The Monk

The obvious principal function of a tow path is to provide a means for towing boats and gaining access to the waterway. Thus the needs of boat crews, horse boat operators, anglers and contractors are satisfied.
Most towpaths should continue to be classified as "permissive footpaths" and not as public rights of way. This is seen as essential to preserve the tranquil nature of the canal and guard against free-for-all use.
Horse riding should be prohibited; as most paths are unsuitable for horses other than at boat towing speed.
On the abrasive subject of cycling, most paths are clearly unsuitable for two wheeled transport. Hence, free access to cyclists by right is seen as undesirable, especially for rapid commuter or recreational cyclists. Permit holders only should be allowed; British Waterways in fact already has a bye-law which makes it an offence to cycle without a permit. This appears strange since bicycles have been used for access and as an aid to boating ever since their invention; (with the possible exception of the penny farthing of course) . The introduction of all terrain mountain models is seen as particularly threatening to the peace and tranquillity of the waterway environment. At the same time, it has to be recognised that there is mounting pressure to find more cycle routes away from the hazard and hassle of the other 20th. century forms of road transport. In fact, the 1997 Road Traffic Act has a requirement for segregated cycle-ways.
IWA supports the BW principle of managed and regulated access for cyclists. Permit arrangements which provide insurance cover for personal injury to bike riders and walkers are favoured. Boat licences should constructively include for one free bicycle permit per craft; as a bike can be a useful augment to boating activities; it can be ridden between locks to economise on water use and can be used to summon assistance in a dire emergency. Cyclists should exercise care when passing walkers or anglers. The advent of the fibreglass extended fishing rod demands particular vigilance on the part of the cyclist; who should be prepared to dismount. Racing or other group activities are definitely taboo as are motorised bikes. IWA intends, however, to press for all tow paths to be maintained to a good enough standard for light cycle traffic and to lobby for a list of ride-able paths to be produced. Unauthorised motor vehicles and motor

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A bike can be used to summon assistance in a dire emergency (for boaters)

Oh how convienient. I would have thought that a mobile phone would have been better.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

bit hard to hold a bike up to your ear .........

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I've heard all this tripe before.
If I was cycling along the canal towpath, and an angler had his pole across it, I would purposely ride into it, making sure that I came off my bike and seriously scraped my face, arms, and legs along the gravel. I would then sue for compensation as the angler was causing an obstruction.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

And the same if I was simply out for a jog or a walk.