hemp

Colin W

Reaction score
hi all ive just heard you DONT need to cook the smelly stuff in the house all you need to do is put it in a bait bucket and cover with boiling water put the lid on and leave it in hut/garage until next morning , is this ok to do ?????. tight lines ....col.

B

Big Rik

not really, the hemp needs to cook and split, if it doesn't split and show the white kernel, then it's not cooked and wont release all the oils which make it so good.

Soak and then cover with boiling water in a sealed cool box or flask works ok as it continues to cook the seed.

T

The Monk

You can germinate it though and you don`t even need hot water, just time, wait until the sprouts are showing, its an excellent bait but I don`t see many using it these days

E

Evan

Doesn't germinating a seed do all sorts of good things with the internal sugars etc ? ie. what they do with Barley for beer and or Whiskey, malting floor and all that.... That might work. Giving a slightly different flavoured hemp; hmmmm. Might give it a try just out of curiousity !

B

Big Rik

problem being that you can't germinate hemp as it's heat treated so you can't grow it

B

Bully

More's the pitty..

I just soak for 48 hours, then poor on boiling water anqd uickly seal down with foil and put on lid......only cos I dont have a flask.

Works fine for me.

T

The Monk

problem being that you can't germinate hemp as it's heat treated so you can't grow it

I dont under stand this Rik, maybe its not germinating we have been doing, but what we do is put dried hemp in a bucket of cold water with holes in the lid, leave it for about a month or so and drain the water away say weekly, small white shoots start to appear from the hemp as it splits, I thought this was germinating, its a method which has been around a long time of course?

T

The Monk

found this on hash growing for idiots

Hemp seeds from angling suppliers are very variable in quality and germination rate. They are treated, but most still manage to sprout (despite what Rik might say). Only use those that form sprouts over a centimetre long.

Choose seeds for their size and colour. The large plump ones with good colour, black, brown, grey or mottled have the best chance of germinating. Seeds that are old, badly bruised or immature (green or white) are probably not viable. If they are all you can get, you'll have to plant a lot of them and hope that some exceptional specimens "take".

Seeds are rarely viable after about three years, and should be stored in an airtight container. The crisper section in your refrigerator is an ideal place; dark and cool. You can get some idea of the viability by placing a seed between your thumb and fore-finger. If the seed does not crumble when pressed hard, it is probably viable.

Many books recommend that a germination box should be built to start the seeds in. This is an extra hassle that is not necessary. Transplanting the seedlings from one medium to another often subjects them to transplant shock, which will delay growth. With the following procedure you'll not have any problems. If you underwater your plants, they will wilt. Plant cells are kept rigid by

Soak the seeds overnight in a glass of water or in wet towels to give them a head start in the water absorbtion stakes. Adding about a teaspoon of "Domestos" (double for thin bleaches) to half a pint of water will prevent fungus forming on the seeds. It does not harm the seeds in any way, believe me.

Poke 5 or 6 holes about 1/4 - 1/2 inch deep and evenly spaced in each pot. Place one seed in each hole and cover lightly with soil. Carefully, so as not to disturb the seeds, moisten the soil and keep it moist until the seeds have sprouted.

If you are using a bulk lot of not very viable seeds, put them in a seed tray with 1 1/4" of seed and cutting compost in the bottom. Moisten with a sprayer and, as mould from rotting seeds will be a problem, spray with "Benomyl" or another fungicide if you know of a better one. Scatter many seeds over the surface, sprinkle compost over the top to only just cover the seeds, and dampen with water and fungicide. Put an incubator top on, or put it inside a clear plastic bag. These precautions are not necessary with good seeds, but then the ones you find in bird-seed aren't particularly renowned for their quality.

The seeds will sprout in three to fourteen days, depending on their variety and viability. If you have only a few seeds and want to give them the best chance possible, plant them pointed end up. The seedling will then expend the least amount of energy breaking through the soil. This is not critical and is unnecessary if you have plenty of seeds.

Dave German

Reaction score
Get your hemp from a bird food supplier or animal feed supplier, that is not treated, try it for youself, put a few grains on a wet tissue in a jamjar somewhere warm, should be going in about 3 days. I don't beleive any hemp is treated these days, we were growing it 25 years ago, (& selling seed for 50p a matchbox full in the pub it was only about 25p a pound from my bird seed supplier)

T

The Monk

I used Haithes for most of my seed, a fantastic service with free delivery over a certain amount,

T

trev matthews

I dont stink the house out with mine. I get my dinner ladies to cook it for me at school. Their extractor fans work overtime on school dinners and the hemp makes a pleasant change for the kids to sniff too.

T

The Monk

you still at school Trev, I never got on with my dinner ladies, horrible fat things that served pig swill up

T

trev matthews

ahh but my dinner ladies are all cute hotties who serve up jamie oliver stuff. and they will do anyting I ask.