A Warning about Bio-Diesel

J

John Huntley

Fred
Why are they disposing of it after making it? Why raen't they using it?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
John I think it is the bi product that they get rid off.The oil is mixed with a thinning agent so it dosen't clog the engine and makes it easier to start up.
This product I believe was responsible for the destruction of 6 km of stream and aquatic life near me last year,this is going to be a growing problem I fear.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Dear all.
I don't think Fred Higham is availiable for comment. I have had this article passed onto me, which I sent to Graham. And Graham has kindly put it up on the website.

Too may illegal dumpings took place last year, do you remember reading about them on this site? let us all hope that we can all be a little more vigillant.

And don't forget. It doesn't matter a jot if you report something that turns into a false alarm. I have done it a number of times myself, and as has been said it is better to be safe than sorry. The E.A. or Fred Higham will be only to pleased to hear from you.

And don't forget the lovelly little River Dane.

Reaction score
Thankfully there are not many "back street" producers of biodiesel now (2008) due to the high cost of vegetable oil, although waste veg oil is still obtainable from curry houses, takeaways and fish shops.

Biodiesel is made by a process known as transesterification which is a basic mixture of Veg oil, Methanol (CH3OH) and caustic soda (KOH) the waste is a bi-product precipitate called glycerol which can be used in pharmaceuticals and food industries by a complex purification processes.

I have been involved with the industry as a consultant for bio-fuels and I know first hand what the impact spillages would have on our fish stocks if allowed into water courses.

When biodiesel is first produced it is relatively safe and supposedly non-toxic as all the methanol and caustic soda if done correctly (to exact specifications) binds readily with the veg oil producing a biodegradable fuel which can be put directly into most modern diesel engines.

However because biodiesel has a limited shelf life (typically 10 days max at room temperature) it will break down rapidly and harbour many millions of growth bacteria and quickly becomes useless as a fuel. Also the precipitate glycerol often contains high proportions of unreacted methanol and lye, both of which I suspect will be thrown away down the drain.

The government allowes you to produce your own fuel legally at home for your own use and without penalty to 2,500 litres per year. Anyone still producing biofuels at home in need of further advice or information about disposal should contact me for a solution. I know of a safe route which is legal and responsible and the company in question actually buys the waste glycerol from you!