Drammes-- ????

flightliner

Reaction score
I,ve just looked at the british record fish list (course) and there are eight or nine species that are recorded in lbs, oz, and drammes, one is even recorded in drammes and one half of a dramme:confused:!
The ones recorded with drammes are mainly in the smaller species that we as anglers catch from time to time.
What I find strange is that in all my time as an angler I have yet to see a pair of dedicated scales with these measurements shown on them for the captor of some fish or other to record(have I missed something here).
I can understand tho that if when measuring a fishes wieght the needle of ones scales settle someway midpoint between two ounce divisions that a half ounce may be claimed, but to claim, and have accepted a measurement of say three/six/nine /or eleven drammes seems to me to be a bit pie in the sky:eek:mg:, and a half a dramme is simply ridiculous and makes a mockery of the whole record fish list
Maybe it be a good idea if some manufacturer made scales for anglers with Drammes on them or for true accuracy to be recorded metric measurement should be accepted- what do you think.

smithdave

Reaction score
It's just a question of time, before we go metric.
I for one, welcome the change.

smithdave

Reaction score
Maggots and Beer by the litre ?
Never.

Don't see why not, Beerweasel. We've used the metric system in this country for over 40 years. We need to let go of antiquated measures and catch up with the rest of Europe.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What I find strange is that in all my time as an angler I have yet to see a pair of dedicated scales with these measurements shown on them for the captor of some fish or other to record(have I missed something here).
I can understand tho that if when measuring a fishes wieght the needle of ones scales settle someway midpoint between two ounce divisions that a half ounce may be claimed, but to claim, and have accepted a measurement of say three/six/nine /or eleven drammes seems to me to be a bit pie in the sky:eek:mg:, and a half a dramme is simply ridiculous and makes a mockery of the whole record fish list

I've never seen such scales but disagree with the mockery bit. I've never encountered anyone that would weigh a large minnow, gudgeon, bleak, stone loach etc etc. Perhaps those that do, and would be prepared to claim for the smaller specimens, go prepared?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
dram. a contraction of drachm: 674th of an ounce avoirdupois :
1eighth of an ounce.
Long may it be used in records and match results....
Most tackle and bits are still a mixture of 16m pole, 13ft rod,
1oz lead , 3 gram olivette. pint of maggots, kilo of worms etc...
It's nice to be odd ....

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
dram. a contraction of drachm: 674th of an ounce avoirdupois :
1eighth of an ounce.
Long may it be used in records and match results....
Most tackle and bits are still a mixture of 16m pole, 13ft rod,
1oz lead , 3 gram olivette. pint of maggots, kilo of worms etc...
It's nice to be odd ....

Never noticed till now Peter

rods in ft poles in metres

terry m

Reaction score
Is the poles in metres thing, a result of the fact that originally they were Roach Poles used by continental - metric - anglers?

beerweasel

Reaction score
We will never measure our fish in metric.
What would be a specimen Roach in Grammes ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Don't see why not, Beerweasel. We've used the metric system in this country for over 40 years. We need to let go of antiquated measures and catch up with the rest of Europe.

Possibly most of the rest of Europe would be better off catching up with us.:wh
Jerry

flightliner

Reaction score
I dont want to go metric my self (even tho my gas has been measured in meters for years)but the smallest scales to my knowledge that "go small" were some Reuben heatons that measured in quarter ounces which suggests that anything smaller is somewhat impractical so anyone claiming a half a dramme is clutching at straws and to be accepted onto a record list makes me think "Who are you trying to kid"

mol

Reaction score
You should be grateful living in an imperial unit country, catching specimen fish in metric is so much more difficult. A specimen carp becomes 10kg or 22lb not 20lb and a specimen roach becomes a kilo or 2lb 3oz! Don't know your born

dezza

Reaction score
Maggots and Beer by the litre ?
Never.

Don't be daft!

Anyone using old Imperial measures of weight and size is living in the past, and to a certain extent I include myself. What's wrong with a litre of maggots? Nothing, on the plus side if you ask for a litre you get more than a pint.

We will I am sure reach the point where Imperial units will be illegal. It happened in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand. And it looks like happening in the USA too!

I have noticed in many recent technical papers and catalogues coming out of the USA that metric, or should I say S.I. (Systeme Internasionale) measurements are used exclusively. Even in the UK, technical data and drawings are all done in metric these days, so I think that metric should be used everywhere.

smithdave

Reaction score
We should also start using the Euro or would you prefer Pounds, Shillings and pence !

beerweasel

Reaction score
I suppose I could get used to drinking beer by the Litre. :eek:mg::D
As for weighing fish down to Drammes it could be done on pocket letter scales.
Apparently drug dealers use pocket scales which weigh in 0.01 g or a pennyweight.

barbelboi

Reaction score
We should also start using the Euro or would you prefer Pounds, Shillings and pence !

Would this be the same Euro that's in free fall at the moment and will probably disappear in the next year or two:eek:mg:?
Jerry
PS Am I missing something or didn't we go decimal in '71?

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
Whats wrong with troy ounces as well,advoirdepois or whatever it is ,why cant the poxy continent make up its mind:wh