Carbon in storms

Beecy

Reaction score
are there any recorded instances of people being struck by lightning due to holding carbon rods / poles ?

are you more likely to get struck holding a pole or is it a case of if your times up your going to get struck down by the almighty anyway !

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
FLASH] loading... Being out-of-doors is the most dangerous place to be ...File Format: Shockwave Flash
When lightning is seen or thunder is heard, or when dark clouds are observed ... These include: near the water, such as when involved in boating, fishing or ...
www.wsbtv.com/sh/idi/weather/lightning/outdoors_main.swf - Similar pages

Looking good for our charity match this weekend isn't it.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
WAVE 3 TV Louisville, KY :: Teen killed by lightning while fishing ...(AP) -- Lightning struck and killed a 14-year-old caught in a storm while fishing with his brother, authorities said. Jeremy Mosebrook and his 16-year-old ...
www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=6642359 - 77k - Cached - Similar pages

J

john conway

The question is: are anglers more likely to get struck by lightening as opposed to other participants of out door activities? Several year s ago a couple of mates I got a fair old belt from a lightening strike as it discharged it?s self down an electron ladder we had down a 300ft pothole shaft in the Yorkshire Dales.

Beecy

Reaction score
yes, thats what im on about John, are your chances of getting struck increased by holding a rod/pole or if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time will it happen anyway

does the carbon actualy attract a strike if ones going to hit in the vicinity, or are the chances increased just because of the increased size of the target ?

honslow

Reaction score
Beecy. Drop your rod, take your banksticks out of the ground and hug the earth. Plenty of people get hit every year worldwide. Carbon is an excellent conductor!

J

john conway

I think if you get hit by lightening in general you?re just unlucky, however, there are areas you really don?t want to be in during an electrical storm. One as I?ve mentioned is in the moist air flow from a very large pothole shaft and another is under a large lone tree during the summer where the tree is sending a large column of moist air into the atmosphere which the lightening can track down. Having said that, I?m not for testing the unlucky theory by waving a carbon fishing rod about during a thunderstorm.

honslow

Reaction score
Lightening comes up out of the ground as well as down. Small charges like feelers rise up out of tall objects and conductors, including you, and especially 13ft of carbon fibre and two-foot lengths of stainless steel! The main strike coming down then connects to the strongest 'feeler' (can't remember the correct term) and the discharge occurs.
Last summer I had strikes coming down so close that I could feel the charge build up in my teeth. Needless to say I pooed myself and lay down for the duration of the storm!

captain carrott

Reaction score
Beecy
i think you should go and stand on top of kinder scout in the middle of a thunderstorm holding a pole straight up in the air and shout all gods are bastards, just to test it out thoroughly.

let us know how you get on.