British Waterways

John Jones

Reaction score
My local still water is Earlswood Lakes which being a feeder system for the local canals, is owned by British Waterways.
It is literally 5 minutes from where I live, but being mainly a river man, up until recently I fished there only spasmodically. A few months ago I was diagnosed with a serious illness which required a major operation.
Recovery means time off work and as we all know fishing is the finest therapy on Earth. So lately I've found myself popping up the road and teaching a few worms to swim at Earlswood.
All we ever seem to get from the angling fraternity is moan, whinge and belly-ache! So may I buck the trend and put in some words of praise for British Waterways.
They have put a lot of thought into the comfort of anglers at Earlswood. The stages are the most generous I have ever seen, perfectly flat and very solid. There are several metal screw type bank-stick points along the edges, and in the centre of each stage is a brolly point with a further rope anchor at the rear.
From the peripheral path the wooden walkway slopes down to the stages so this has been covered in wire mesh to prevent slipping.
The bailiff comes twice a day not only to issue day tickets but to empty the rubbish bins and pick up any stray litter.
Talking to him the other day he was telling me that tench are to be stocked in Engine House and Windmill Lakes to compliment the already first class fishing for carp, bream, roach and perch.
I wonder now why I've neglected such a wonderful fishery for so long, especially as it so well managed and right on my doorstep.
A big thank you to British Waterways and very well done. Your efforts are really appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Clansman .

Reaction score
This sounds like an ideal place to go fishing, I think I will need to give it a go next time I am in the area.

This is what all British Waterways Ponds and Canals should be like!

S

Stevie 12345

I dont know much about BW and the extent of waters that they manage, but the waters I have fished have always been well run and have been excellent venues