The Daddy Longlegs Rig

S

Steve Clements

It looks like it would also prevent the hook from getting anywhere near the lip. Obviously you've had success with it but that's how it appears to me. Can't see how it works,but I've never tried to tie it.

F

Frothey

Rob Maylin and the famous five used it and variations extensively in the late 80's early 90's and really rated it.

i liked the version where there was just one "leg" the bait (being a pop-up) was mounted on it, with the counterweight on the end of the leg - gave a really good "blow back". its almost a bit like the withy pool, but with the bait being able to go round the full length of the curve.

dont knock it till you've tried it steve....

D

droughty

if you look at the rig you will see that the legs are face away from the point of the hook
tie the rig and drop it trough your cupped hands with a boilie on and pull it back you will see how affective at hooking it is .. and you'll never know if you don't try

S

Steve Clements

Can't argue with your logic there guys, just a leap of faith really, what situations would it score over a d-rig which is how I currently fish a pop-up. I don't like to 'over egg the pudding' so to speak, and usually fish running leads much as I always have.
Frothey cheers for your e-mail, have been too busy to do anything but glance over my post......unless it's a cheque of course.
My post was not intended as a criticism, just an opinion however ill informed it may appear, we're all learning!

D

droughty

this is a rig i use when the carp are starting to get very rig shy when they pick up and eject without moving it has been very affective on occasions . but its not an everyday rig

G

Gary Turner

This Rig was also called the Sputnik rig. Highly efferective in stopping bait ejection but also highly effective at damaging fish mouths internally.

I'm not advocating don't use it, just do so with caution, if you see damage then stop using it. May work with lower breaking strains.

It was banned on a number of waters then and maybe so again if misused

D

droughty

gary i dont know where you get your info from but in all the years iv'e been using this rig and ive been using it since the mid 80s i have never had any damaged mouths in the carp ive caught and has for the sputnik rig ..never heard of it mate.. and 15lb line for the legs is quite supple ...dave d

G

Gary Turner

Droughty, Don't doubt it works for you and good luck if it does. We all need an edge.Please don't take my initail comments as criticism.
You've used it and perhaps 'perfected' it after such a long time. Everybody riduculed the hair when it was used at Roman lakes all those years ago but now look at it.
Your rig is effective but sometimes not in the right hands. the rigs I saw and used initailly had the anti-eject pushed into the boilie and not tied on the hook end like yours. This may be a better bet, I'd forgotten all about the rig until your article

Julian Barber

Reaction score
I dont understand how a few bits of stiff mono facing backwards from the hook could damage a fish's mouth internally. All manner of muck goes in, and comes back out of their mouths as they feed, some seemingly sharper and/or more hazardous than mono. Zebra mussels, crayfish, twigs ,flint etc etc...

Anybody care to educate me on this damage issue ?