Float Adaptors = Float Destroyers!

maceo

Reaction score
I started using float adaptors a while ago with the idea that it'd make changing wagglers much easier and save retackling each time.

The big problem I've found is that they grip the bottom of the float so tightly that when you try and remove the float, the tip pulls out from the float body completely.

I've ruined three floats like this so far and I'm thinking of giving up with them in future.

Other problems I've found with these adaptors is that they obviously weigh a little and so you have to guess how much shot to use rather than being able to use the amount specified on the float. They just seem more trouble than they're worth.

Anyone else experienced this?

dangermouse

Reaction score
I`ve never used float adaptors. When I think I might want to switch floats sometime during the session I use a snap-link swivel between my bulk shot and clip the float onto it using the eye at the bottom of the float. It doesn`t seem to have any adverse effects and it doesn`t damage the float.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Maybe it's more of a comment on the floats you're using.

I use them and I don't have any trouble but I agree, they do grip quite tightly. Try getting your fingernails behind them rather than just pulling them from the base.

little oik

Reaction score
I always use these Preston Innovations Big Float Waggler Adaptors – Chapmans Angling
The only thing you do need to do is to thread the line through the swivel eye as well .If you dont and fishing weedy swims the tubing has a tendency to pull off under pressure and hey presto One lost float
Or the cralusso ones .
They all weigh in at approx .3grm.

Easy to change floats ,and do away with the locking shot so much easier to adjust depth and not having the large shot on light line syndrome .

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I always use them and I have never had a problem, I certainly wouldn't use one and then thread the line through the eye. I usually carry a variety of makes/sizes to match the floats I am using.

It's just occurred to me that you may be trying to remove them wrongly, if you pull on them or on the line when you attempt to remove them, they act like Chinese fingers and the harder you pull the tighter they grip, try hooking a finger nail over the top edge and pushing them off from there.

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

You could also try adding a bit of spit to the end of the float before fitting the float adaptor, this will lubricate it and make taking the adaptor off easier.

Paul

A

alan whittington

Ive never experienced this problem either,i would hold the base of the float and 'peel' the adaptor off,why not make your own,buy the appropriate swivel,cut one eye off to the barrel(with side cutters),get a length of silicon float rubber to suit and Bobs your Auntie,if you can get this right the shot capacity of you float isnt compromised much at all.
Lovely roach piccy Barbelboi.

maceo

Reaction score
Yes - that's the problem I think. I was pulling them from underneath and trying to peel them off with a fingernail from the top at the same time. I always push them right on as far as they go when I'm putting the float on too - so that's probably the other cause.

Like the idea of a snap link swivel instead too.

Thanks for that - I'm going to give that a go next time I think.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ive never experienced this problem either,i would hold the base of the float and 'peel' the adaptor off,why not make your own,buy the appropriate swivel,cut one eye off to the barrel(with side cutters),get a length of silicon float rubber to suit and Bobs your Auntie,if you can get this right the shot capacity of you float isnt compromised much at all.
Lovely roach piccy Barbelboi.

Thank you Alan, from flowing water.
Jerry

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
When using the Rubber Float Adaptors i always wet the stem of the float before inserting it, that way it should release easier when you want to change floats over.

Philip

Reaction score
I make my own out of a bit of silicon tubing and a swivel pushed in one end. You can make them to any size & fit any float like that.

One other advantage of an adapter other than quick change ..is that I fish a slider in deep water quite allot and a flexible silicon adapter helps the float fold over on the strike so offering less resistance to the hookpoint pulling home.

A

alan whittington

I make my own out of a bit of silicon tubing and a swivel pushed in one end. You can make them to any size & fit any float like that.

One other advantage of an adapter other than quick change ..is that I fish a slider in deep water quite allot and a flexible silicon adapter helps the float fold over on the strike so offering less resistance to the hookpoint pulling home.

Philip,different subject i know and ive mentioned it before on site,but try the seymo silicon sliding float adaptors,they dont look much(for the cost),but they work brilliantly,even with floats around 2aa.