Pike anglers in boat accident

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a text today from my mate whos piking on the Trent. Apparently two pike anglers in a boat have been involved in an accident while fishing close to the wier at Cromwell.
Looking at Ceefax on tv it says that two anglers have been taken to hospital after being rescued/recovered from the water.
I really hope that they are both ok,I really do
I cant see anyone being allowed to boat fish up there from now on , over the years its claimed to many lives.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
It's terrible news, they say one of these guys has died. I very much hope boating and fishing are not restricted due to this but it does serve as an awful reminder to the rest of us how dangerous our sport can be.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Had a text today from my mate whos piking on the Trent. Apparently two pike anglers in a boat have been involved in an accident while fishing close to the wier at Cromwell.
Looking at Ceefax on tv it says that two anglers have been taken to hospital after being rescued/recovered from the water.
I really hope that they are both ok,I really do
I cant see anyone being allowed to boat fish up there from now on , over the years its claimed to many lives.

I too received the same message this afternoon via telephone. What you say is true flight, it has a grim track record. And maybe now, boats may be forbidden. Like you, I really do hope the guys are OK.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hi Derek,Its always been prone to tragedy and its not hard to see why. Standing alongside and looking across the wier its very easy to see that the water rolls back to the wall of water that comes over it (six million gallons per hour at summer level).
I know three pike anglers personally who have had near disasters up there, two lost a boat and all their gear when it turned over (never publicised to my knowledge) and another guy was drawn to the "wall" and was frantically handballing himself along and away from it and was lucky enough to float away with a craft that was half full of water. When he got back to the bankside he was as white as a sheet!!! .
I fished on the wall for carp back in the eighties and one winter there was a discarded fridge that was there for about four weeks before it finally got free to float off downstream and logs that were a foot thick turn into stripling before they do the same.
Personally I hope a ban is put on the area, its just too scary a place for little boats. It was in 1972/3 when a group of soldiers on night exercises went over and perished and a few weeks later a family in a pleasure craft ended the same way. There is a memorial to the soldiers on the lock side.
It was after these events that the upstream boom was put in place to try to cancel events like this out.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I was under the distinct impression that all craft were already banned from going upstream of the lock entrance. I know that plenty did go further though.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Very sad.

From the picture, it looks as though the "boat" was one of those very lightweight collapsible versions, easily portable but not a lot of substance for such a spot.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Just caught up with the story. What a tragedy.

Looking back over the years, fishing from small boats in big rivers, 'There but for the grace of God go I', and I suspect many on here.

Heartfelt condolences to relatives and friends.

Stu

longshaw

Reaction score
Sad story and clearly a tragedy hopefully now BW will start enforcing their own No Boats Past This Point in their Trent weirs policy which sadly has been overlooked for a couple of seasons for some reason.

longshaw

Reaction score
Good point Fred but I understand that they also have Inspectors who could come out after hours as a deterrent,they would only have to seize a couple of boats and surely word would spread that it's not worth the risk especially if they lost their launch cars and trailers.
There was a Trent Riverwatch set up last season as a collaborative venture with a multi agency group including Notts Police,BW and the angling clubs bailiffs but not sure if it is still active.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The only trouble with enforcement is that lock keepers knock off at 17:30!

I'd have thought that one hundred yards of turbulent water adds far more to the impotence of the lock keeper. That and the fact that folk ignore them just as much as they ignore the signs.

longshaw

Reaction score
Sam
If they ignore a request to comply with regulations the lock keeper can take their boat details and report them for action when they are picked up at their mooring or whilst locking.
In this case looking at the boat used it probably wasn't licenced or insured in instances such as this the authorities use cameras at launch sites to pick up the car details of the cars used to transport them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam
If they ignore a request to comply with regulations the lock keeper can take their boat details and report them for action when they are picked up at their mooring or whilst locking.
In this case looking at the boat used it probably wasn't licenced or insured in instances such as this the authorities use cameras at launch sites to pick up the car details of the cars used to transport them.

And then what? No one at that particular weir has been deterred for some time. It's amazing how many small boats that you can pack in there, much to the frustration of those that have paid to fish from the bank.