Zips on bags-who needs them?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
As another pocket zip on an almost new bag(Fox Evolution)bites the dust, it got me thinking.
Apart from the obvious answer, why the hell do tackle manufacturers continually fit dodgy zips to the pockets of carryalls and rod bags?
They are fiddley to open at the best of times, and these days Velcro is such a versatile material why not use it for all flaps and pockets? Nowt to go wrong or rust and the luggage should last for a few years more.
Anyone on FM got any contacts/sponsorship etc with a major tackle maker?
Having no zips to go wrong would be a huge selling point for any angling producer. Anglers really are fed up of crappy zips that fail and render a perfectly servicable bag useless.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I think I might agree with you there Peter, I have zips on my bag and though they are working they are a pain in the a@@e to open and always there is that fear that any more pressure will break the damn thing. I have tried butter, grease and WD40 in attempt to make them free running but all to no avail, not much to go wrong with velcro is there?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Before I got to the Velcro bit Peter I was thinking 'Velcro'

However it can be over used, like on my Sundridge Nimbus jacket. I almost have to fight to get my arms free at times, many a time I have reacted to a twitch on the rod top only to find my arm stuck firmly to the front of my jacket.
Totally agree about zip fasteners, especially the small toothed type, like as you say Peter bag pockets, and on the ankle area of leggings/trousers.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Eddie, found the receipt last night, September 2006. It's going back...

John H, I know what you mean about the velcro jackets,my Diawa one is the same. The tape on the wrist gets caught on the front of my open jacket!

My point is a serious one however. Of all the bags and luggage I've had in the past ten years only a couple have been dispensed with because the material rotted and a hole developed. The main problem is so called tough zips which aren't.

While I suppose its hard to avoid them on rod bags (quivers far better I find) other bags just do not need zips on any pockets, full stop, so when will manufacturers realise that, or do they think we are mug enough to buy the same brand 12 months later when two key zips fail?

J

john conway

I have a big problem with modern so-called tough zips, not just on bags etc but also on jackets. One of my favourite gripes is the salvage edge finish on the cloth on the inside of the zip. The fact is on most garments there is no finish and after a very short while the edge frays and jams in the zip and it really realy pi**es me off when this happens on a trip in the dark when I'm wet and cold. When I finally dumped my extreme weather jacket and trousers, ripped the trousers climbing over some barbed wire, not one single zip worked. Most failed within the first year of use.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I think everyone has made a point, zips are sh-t, (no its not the name of a new toy store).

But to be fare do we put to much in the pockets at times, i think its worse when you pull the flap over the pocket, you cant get to the zip to do it up, and as has been said why the zip any way.

My son Ben has a nash bag clips are great on the pockets, main compartment has a zip and its a pain in the a---.

F

Fred Bonney

They don't like super glue spilled on them either...doh!!!

I agree Peter.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Look at quality ruckas as used on expedition or military trips......zips are no go.

It amazes me the great write ups some give to crap gear....perhaps they won it or got it free and are just arseholing for more?

The quality of angling luggage and also clothing is now crap...built down to a price and made to impress the easily impressed.

We are in dire need of a class act in this direction.....zips, especially unprotected zips have little place in decent out door gear.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Most products are designed to please the accountants who know the price of everything and the value of nothing, as I am continually reminded by the antics of my son.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

So.....could we design the ultimate fishing rucksac and clothing, and at what price?

Paul C

Reaction score
"So.....could we design the ultimate fishing rucksac and clothing, and at what price?"

Too late on the rucksack I think. I use this and not a zip to be had. Great rucksack.

drennan