Upper Trent Comes Good

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Graham,

Lovely report, and a very nice fish. Good to see an angler actually smiling in a photograph for a change!

Well done. Sounds like you had a great start to the season!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Very nice MacWallet.

Us old farts must show the youngsters that we can still fish!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Thanks Janet and Fred.

Ron, I'm not old, and I've decided that I'm not going to be old. Well worn maybe, and with too many years behind me, but I refuse to be old.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I take no credit for the following information. I lifted it from the Net:

<HR>

The River Trent is one of the major rivers of England. Its source is in Staffordshire between Biddulph and Mow Cop. It flows through the Midlands (forming a once-significant boundary between the North and South of England) until it joins the River Ouse at Trent Falls to form the Humber Estuary, which empties into the North Sea below Hull and Immingham.

The name "Trent" comes from a Celtic word possibly meaning "strongly flooding". More specifically, the name may be a contraction of two Celtic words, tros ("over") and hynt ("way") (see University of Wales Online Dictionary). This may indeed indicate a river that is prone to flooding. However, a more likely explanation may be that it was considered to be a river that could be crossed principally by means of fords, i.e. the river flowed over major road routes. This may explain the presence of the Celtic element rid (c.f. Welsh rhyd, "ford") in various placenames along the Trent, such as Hill Ridware.

It is unusual amongst English rivers in that it flows north (for the second half of its route), and is also unusual in exhibiting a tidal bore, the "Aegir". The area drained by the river includes most of the northern Midlands.

F

Fred Bonney

The tidal bit,the bit below the tidal, and from it's source, to the bit below the tidal. ;o)

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Wow what a lovely looking......................................

Barbel ;-)....ok ok you you looking lovely too Graham ;-)

I hope I can tempt a nice looking barbel too next friday.....would be happy with one half the size :)

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Excellent fish Graham, well done on such bad conditions. Hope Dave does as well as you did when you take him.

You don't look old Graham, ignore what they say, your still as handsome as ever! :eek:}

F

Fred Bonney

Sorry paraman,I've seen an explanation somewhere,but can't find it.

S

sash

Generally, it is assumed that the upper Trent becomes the middle Trent at the Derwent confluence in the Shardlow area.

I think.

F

Fred Bonney

I found something similar to that, and of course the tidal starts at Cromwell.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Thanks Wendy, but you could have said it without laughing:0)