Custard Powder in Base mixes

C

Cider Bob71'PAC'

Quick question, is there any place in base mixes for custard powder and if so,in what sort of quantity?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I used to use custard powder a great deal in South Africa for making up carp baits based on maize meal.

Custard powder has an egg base that is very attractive to most Cyprinid species.

C

Cider Bob71'PAC'

Thanks Ron,
How many oz's would you use per 4 egg mix?

T

The Monk

custard powder additives were used a lot in the 60s and 70s but with modern bait additives these older methods really are outdated, as Frothy says just use a flavour,
you may as well use honey paste and par boiled spuds

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Quite honestly I've forgotten.

These days, as Frothey says, you may as well use modern flavours.

F

Frothey

theres egg based birdfoods that are just as (if not more) attractive and cheaper if you want the egg content, the rest is just flavouring

have used old custard powder in groundbait.....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There is one bait we used with great effect and that is plain old flour dough made up with beaten eggs, custard powder or even water at a pinch.

I have used flour dough quite effectively on still water roach and bream. It is a bit messy, but you wrap it around your hook into a fairly big glob. At it's most effective consistency it won't cast very far of course.

This bait seems to have been lost along the way in the UK. It was used a great deal between the wars, especially by the London school of roach pole enthusiasts.

T

The Monk

Ron, do you remeber the old tins of dried eggs you used to get in the 50s, it used to come in a white tin with a blue label, I always though it would be good as a bait additive in the 60s but never managed to get hold of any, my dad kept his nails in the tin, not sure what the eqivilent of it would be these days

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I remember them very well mate. They were ex-WW2 surplus made in the USA and shipped to England in vast quantities. They were used in school meals to provide that horrid scrambled egg, but i think that was a bit before your time.

If you remember during the early 60s, **** Walker and Fred J Taylor, in conjunction with John Goddard of Efgeeco, formulated a packaged groundbait by the name of "Pomenteg". The main ingredients were powdered egg and potato. I used Pomenteg quite a lot and it certainly attracted bream and tench. You could also make a very effective paste with it.

I am sure the ingredients were WW2 surplus that had gone past the sell-by-date!

S

Stevie 12345

If it is now the norm is to use vanilla or similar flavouring why not use custard powder for a change.

F

Frothey

because custard powder is just vanilla flavoured egg powder - the same vanilla as you'd add as a flavour, and the same eggs you'll add to a bait.

unless you are buying really expensive posh-nobby custard made from vanilla pods.... in which case why waste it on a fish!

S

Stevie 12345

I was thinking that most anglers tend to use liquid vanilla additives- sometimes in the powdered form the flavour can be a little more subtle.

I think that sometimes the seemingly subtle difference can make a big difference.

F

Frothey

but the powdered ones are just powder thats been sprayed with liquid.....

if you want to be subtle, use pods.

S

Stevie 12345

I dont disagree with you Frothey im just considering that a number of anglers tend to go a little overboard when adding their various sweeteners, having something that is perhaps more refined may be more effective on the day- I just think it should not be discounted

F

Frothey

have a look at the ingredients on a pack of custard powder.... more e's than a 90's rave!

not discounting it - and it will catch, just better ways of making a vanilla smelling bait. you can get powdered vanilla.....