Weymouth Harbour

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I will be in Weymouth on Friday and fancy sneaking a few hours in after work for some mullet in the harbour.Any one had any experience of the mulleting down there at all?

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
No, but there was a John Wilson programme on the other night. He caught the ferry over to the break water on Portland Harbour and fished sliding float and bread for Mullet.
Weymouth Harbour does look like it would be very good for Mullet, i've not yet tried it though.
Let us know how you get on I'd be interested to know.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Will do David.

Weymouth Angling Centre were very helpful when I rang yesterday and told me to drop in before I started fishing and they would point me in the right direction.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I managed to get after the Mullet yesterday.

I arrived at low tide.Weymoyth Angling Centre pointd me in the direction of an area known as the "tanks" where the road parallel to the harbour abuts an old gas tank.You fish from the pavement.There were some good fish about but at low tide the drop to the water was too high for me to net anything so I carried on walking to the other side of the harbour by the marina office adjacent to the car park opposite debenhams.The drop here was less but there was very little water.The mullet were all in the deeper water by the pontoons so I laid on with no luck for a couple of hours to pin the bait in position.

I returned later after work was finished and fished in the same area on the rising tide.Again there were lots of fsh in the area.The average size looked about 3lbs but there were several in the 5/6 lb range and one fish which came by looked 7lb +.

I managed a couple on bread flake.One of about 2 and another of about 3/4lb!When the tide was stood I began to get a lot of bites but in true mullet fashion they were simply unhittable.I fished closer in to cut down the distance between rod and float to aid hitting them and I could see the bait.The mullet would approach the bait push it with there snouts quite agressively to knock the bait off the hook and only then would they take it!Unbeleivable and obvioulsy source of the missed bites.I gave up in the end for fear I would have no hair left.Fascinating fish and a worthy challenge for anyone after something a bit different.

Top marks to Weymouth Angling Centre who were very helpful even though I did not buy anything.They even let me store my rods there whilst I was working so i did not have to store them in the car.

PS Does anyone know who controls the fishing in the boating lake up from the harbour.There were some good carp noising around by the bridge which would be well worth a go.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Cheers for the update Nigel, i'll hopefully be down at some point this summer to have a bash