Would you support a call for the culling of otter

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 75.6%

• Total voters

mol

Reaction score
Would you support a call for the cull on otters?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The question is far too subjective, so if you meant would I support a cull now, then the answer would be no.

If, however, after a protratced period of sound scientific study that it was proved that Otters needed to be culled for their own survival and for the betterment of our fishing, (particularly on the southern rivers) then I would in all probabilty support that option.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
The question is far too subjective, so if you meant would I support a cull now, then the answer would be no.

If, however, after a protratced period of sound scientific study that it was proved that Otters needed to be culled for their own survival and for the betterment of our fishing, (particularly on the southern rivers) then I would in all probabilty support that option.

Yep same here...I have softerned my pro otter stance over the last couple of years :D..... so it would take some bloody good evidence and studies to go as far as culling an animal for my pleasure.

Rich Frampton

Reaction score

I would say I would be the same as Peter.
The problem is localised and is due to Otters having been released from various sources without any idea of whether the enviroment could hold them or sustain a balanced ecosystem...... Natural England might have alot of questions to answer in the future!!

No need to vote either way as the wording is far too sweeping.

soffit

Reaction score
No. Saw one yesterday. first for years. Had a pop at my shoal of roach a couple of times I think.

cg74

Reaction score
Peter, Paul, Jason and Rich, you should've all voted YES, as there is no mention of a time scale or owt else; just the question: "Would you support a cull on otters?"

Yet there aren't any yes votes, so I've voted yes; just for you confused peoples... cos I'm kind gent.:)

No need to thank me, its just a bit of unspent Xmas spirit I have left over.:D

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Mink and grey squirrels definitely yes.

This typifies anglers; its perfectly legal to cull both mink and grey squirrels, yet most are left well-alone....

barbelboi

Reaction score
You just have to be a shade careful how you kill grey squirrels. Under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act pests like the grey squirrel can be killed in a ‘humane way’, such as a blow to the back of the head or shooting, but drowning or beating the animal to death is illegal.
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You just have to be a shade careful how you kill grey squirrels. Under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act pests like the grey squirrel can be killed in a ‘humane way’, such as a blow to the back of the head or shooting, but drowning or beating the animal to death is illegal.
Jerry

That's very enlightening Jerry. I shall bear that in mind.

Where does said act stand on boilies/donkey choker pellets fired at close range from a very powerful catapult ?:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
That's very enlightening Jerry. I shall bear that in mind.

Where does said act stand on boilies/donkey choker pellets fired at close range from a very powerful catapult ?:D

:D What flavour?;)
Just thought I'd mention it as the RSPCA argue that most people will be incapable of killing a squirrel without causing “unnecessary suffering” and will therefore be in breach of the law. They recommend taking the animal to the vet to be put down for around £30:eek:mg:.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
I vote yes! But on the proviso of an impact assessment..... If it is deemed to have a detrimental effect on the local ecology - get shot!

The thing is, I suspect that some fisheries are in drastic decline due to pollution, abstraction and other invasive species like crayfish. Will predator/prey relationships (which are well understood) still operate if the river is in no fit state to enable fish to recover - eg loss of spawning beds, endochrine disruptors, floods etc.... perhaps fish numbers will never recover as traditional models suggest and ultimately the demise of both fish and otter will follow...

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

:D What flavour?;)
Just thought I'd mention it as the RSPCA argue that most people will be incapable of killing a squirrel without causing “unnecessary suffering” and will therefore be in breach of the law. They recommend taking the animal to the vet to be put down for around £30:eek:mg:.
Jerry

No worries there, just shoot them - it is humane!

beerweasel

Reaction score
If you catch one it's an offence to release it, same thing applies to Signal Crayfish.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Really ? I suppose we are talking injured squirrels here. I can think of a much quicker & cheaper alternative that is equally effective and causes no suffering....as I suspect can you !

As for ottters I would support a cull provided it was properly argued for and properly done. I like otters but the eco-system of which they are a part has changed and my gut feeling is that the current balance is wrong. If that's proven [or whatever] I say act while the situation is controllable. Leave it too long and any action is likely to be ineffective...like squirrels,cormorant,merganser,signal crays,magpies etc etc .

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

If you catch one it's an offence to release it, same thing applies to Signal Crayfish.

So far as signals are concerned I am most reassurred that I am acting within the law. Every single one of those I catch gets killed....it makes no difference to the population but it makes me feel better.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

I vote yes! But on the proviso of an impact assessment..... If it is deemed to have a detrimental effect on the local ecology - get shot!

I agree totally...the trouble with that,Christian, is that it will take the "Otter Impact Assessment Group" several lifetimes to report by which time our furry friends will have stripped the local waters & moved on. Somebody has to have the balls to say a cull IS needed and to get it done quickly.

Sadly,there are no votes or photo opportunities in dead otters so even if it SHOULD happen,it wont. This is what happens when people who dont really understand start messing about with things for short term political gain. I admired Tony Banks commitment but WTF was the MP for West Ham doing banging on about hunting ? Pure party political toff bashing.

Last edited:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
The figures for Otter predation are interesting........

An adult Otter can reach a weight of 30lb, and will eat between 7% and 30% of it's bodyweight per day dependant on activity, that's 2lb to 9lb.

Admittedly that comprises of various food items, but its not going to take long to empty a fishery as they don't eat the whole fish.

Reluctantly Yes to a controlled cull by professionals.

Last edited:

hugo curgudgeon

Reaction score
Unfortunately man has, as ever, interfered with nature. The uncontrolled reintroduction of any species cannot be correct. There are now far too many Red Kite, which attack song birds even tho' they are supposedly eaters of carrion. That chap who has a site where he encourages hoards of kite to feed. Is he doing that for altruistic reasons or to charge peasants for the pleasure of seeing a previously nearly extinct bird?

Badgers need culling because they are carriers of T.B. Now don't get me wrong, I love badgers but one can have too much of a good thing. Foxes, again beautiful creatures, but they are vermin and hunting should never have been banned.

Otters are absolutely delightful but have no natural predators. Why not hunt them? Have you ever seen an otterhound in action? I imagine that some of you are anti shooting. Watching a labrador following the scent of a bird and bringing back the quarry is magnificent.

Fishing is not an urban pursuit. I think that some people have lost the old country ways, if they ever knew them in the first place.

Yes, I am in favour of a cull, but the only species that needs culling more than any other is ..........man!

Discuss!

Hugo

rob richbell

Reaction score
Question for those in the know...i had heard that some (most )of the otters that were released were European short clawed, ( imported, non native?) . If that were true and assuming its possible to tell the difference at 100yds through telescopic sites would it be legal??
If it is true it might explain the high density seen in some locations which as i understand it is not natural to idiginous otters who like a bit of peace, space and quiet like most of us.

i am actually against a cull, per se, but think otter numbers and impact should be monitored,they are an apex predator after all and if appropriate, numbers contolled. maybe by this give the little beasties contraceptives, i believe its done for other wild animals in different parts of the world.

They probably would't be such a problem anyway if all the other ills on the rivers like crays, water abstraction, pollution and poachers were not already reducing stock levels.