EA Floodwatch....

E

EC

Just browsing through the EA site as my now local River Weaver is seriously high.
As yet however, it does not appear to be a flood risk on the EA site.

According to the EA site Flood Watch criteria is Flooding possible. Be aware! Be prepared! Watch out! .

The river is at the top of the bank, the weir now indistinguishable and it is still raining, yet still no 'floodwatch'.

Anyone know what criteria the EA use before putting a river on alert?

Beecy

Reaction score
on our local news during the flooding the other week, they interviewed some woman from the EA.

When asked why they hadn't issued flood warnings for the areas affected she explained that they only did this where there was a risk of a minimum of 200 homes being flooded.

on the subject, the Don in Sheffield is higher than I have ever seen it, we stood on the stone bridge by our factory today and it was an awesome site. Eventually the police closed the bridge as it was only inches from being swamped. You could almost feel the thumps as massive tree trunks were crashing against it at about 40mph.There were loads of beer barrels flying about that had been washed from the cellar of the pub just down the road !

its absolute chaos on the roads round here, I left work at 4.15 and have been home about 1/2 hour (its a 4 mile journey!)

B

Bully

It may be that the river had peaked and therefore would not get any higher. Across most of the UK the Met Office captures how much water has fallen in a given area and this can be fed into models that predict river levels, and they are pretty accurate.

Flash floods however are almost impossible to predict.

But as mentioned, if there is little or no risk to property I doubt it would get mentioned.