bitterling

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I am in a species hunt on another forum I am involved with and I am looking to try and catch a few different species, one of which is bitterling, no one I know has even seen one let alone know where I might catch one.

So I thought I would as some of you species guru's here where and how I might possibly catch a bitterling.

E

EC

Trent and Mersey Canal used to have them around Acton, near the A49!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

We used to catch small ones in a farmers pond --they were just like small stunted roach/rudd but had a blush pearlescent look to them ....

T

The Monk

I went oput to do a search for these things in the 70s, an interesting little French fish, the female of which carries a large probobis and injects its eggs in painter mussels, Nev Fickling sent me a list of waters at the time, they where largely distrobuted around the Northwest, carr mill dam, pennington flash, southport sluice and in East Anglia, I expect they are better distobuted these days, we have them in Boggart Hole Clough Manchester, I kept some in a fish tank for a while

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The pond I used to catch them in was in Crosby

billyrivers

Reaction score
There are plenty in the Bridgewater canal around the Altincham area feel free to e-mail me for exact location.

billyrivers

matt

Reaction score
The lancaster canal at lancaster has them and also a local club lake.

G

Gary Knowles

we always used to catch them in the lancaster canal also.

But I also know a commercail fishery near wigan that has loads of them in if you are interested.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Thanks guys, looks like I am going to have to take a couple of days off work, get my passport sorted and head north then!!

do I still need a visa to travel north of birmingham as I am a softie southerner!

T

The Monk

Yes, we have tightened up a lot in the North Mithy, you will definately have to lose the accent and leave our bludi women alone (not as you`d impress them that much), and jellied eels are a no no!

Aw white

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I am sure we can sort out some kind of cultural exchange Miths,we will show you rain and wind and some multi coloured rivers if your lucky ,don't forget to pack your parker or duffle coat, or with you being from tropical climes best pack both.
Don't be tempted to visit the dark side over the pennines either they still carry out dark rituals in them parts and don't stray of the path .

chris hall

Reaction score
Ive found bitterling in the lancaster canal at Preston, where the canal stops at aquaduct street.Its a dead end there now and you can catch bitterling bt putting your landing net in the edge and walking quickly with it for several meters. I ve seen them in fish shops in the cold water section also.

Kenfish!

Reaction score
Catching bitterling is common place on the river Cam downstream of Baitsbite lock and through Clayhythe bridge.
They are best angled for with small baits like punched bread and pinkies. Don't get too excited though average size is below 8 drams!

kev king

Reaction score
having previously kept bitterling in tanks i was suprised to discover they can be caught in uk

Another exotic species to go for is the north american sunbass or pumpkinseed (lepomis gibbissus)which is present in a lake not far from london
cannot remember its exact location but it would worth a google search

On the subject of exotic fish my pal recently caught a 3lb grey mullet from petersham stretch of tidal thames 2 weeks back!!!