Trotting Rod

G

Goose Ganderton

Lads What length of rod would you say was the ideal for long trotting

Alan Roe

Reaction score
There are a number of factors that you need to take into account when choosing a trotting for these include the species that you are predominatly going for if it is Barbel you will want something more beefy than you would use for roach.
Equally how strong are you can you hold a long rod for hours? even the best of the new breed of 18-20' rods take some holding in a wind!!
How big are the rivers you are fishing do they warrant a long rod or would a shorter one do the job just as well.
A risky thing to say this..but the standard for the industry is around 13'.
Longer rods do give more control but this can be offset by the fatigue factor in using them especially in a wind.
The thing to do is to try several lenghts of rod and decide what suits you best.
If I can help further e-mail me
Cheers
Alan

A

Alan Cooper

Besides my 11 ft split cane avon, I've got a 13 ft Abu radical zeus "power" which is an absolutely wonderfully easy rod to hold all day and has a bit of poke as well. I also have, however, an 18/20 foot Annex Excel, which I have yet to use - I will post report to Forum when I have used it.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
If it is of any further help for silver fish I have a Shakespeare Oddessa Gold match rod at 12' which is gorgeous to use, a real prim pointing finger of a rod
perfect for roach grayling and dace with enough backbone to stop chub when needed and light enough to hold all day.
If heavier fish are the order of the day I have a Shakespeare Aerial Power match rod which is at 13' and has plenty of stopping power for barbel which is also pleasant to use.....No I don't get paid by Shakespeare!!!Neither of these rods are particularly expensive which is always an advantage...

Alan Roe

Reaction score
If it is of any further help for silver fish I have a Shakespeare Oddessa Gold match rod at 12' which is gorgeous to use, a real prim pointing finger of a rod
perfect for roach grayling and dace with enough backbone to stop chub when needed and light enough to hold all day.
If heavier fish are the order of the day I have a Shakespeare Aerial Power match rod which is at 13' and has plenty of stopping power for barbel which is also pleasant to use.....No I don't get paid by Shakespeare!!!Neither of these rods are particularly expensive which is always an advantage...:)

J

John Toohey

Hi all,
Alan remember that MAP18-20' rod I was going to buy.Well I remembered that a friend of mine was posing with one on Docklow pools when we were staying there and I also knew that he would'nt have used it often,so I bought it off him two weeks ago for ?75-00.brand new, reel on it only once at Docklow.Now the only problem is I cant get to the rivers to see if I am going to look like a bloody windmill because they are in the roads,but I cant wait to get those big Bewdley roach with it.I also use an old 13'Daiwa whisker stick rod and a Harrison GT match and I cant fault either of them.
John.