Fishing "unregistered" waters...

pertinaxone

Reaction score
I have found a small stretch of brook/river which seems to hold some superb fish...

The problem is thus: This brook seems to run through "open" public ground/land, and is actually alongside a public foot path. There are no fences stopping people having access to the fishing, and there ARE signs (floats in trees mainly!) that someone has, does fish the stretch. BUT how would I go about fishing it? There is nothing to say the fishing is public or private or even allowed, nothing to say who owns the land/access... Do I take the risk and cast a line and end up with a poaching fine and sentence? Risk getting a slap on the wrist from a bailiff? Get pushed in?

What could I do to find out how to legally fish the water is another way of putting it... I know I'm not 100% clear on this, but having done numerous (internet) searches, I can't find anything out about this bit of brook!

Should I contact the council? Or just hang about on the bank, waiting for someone with a rod to turn up?

Thanks for any help,

Jason

mol

Reaction score
Have you tried asking the local tackle shops?

soffit

Reaction score
Tackle shop; keep away from officaldom. The river I fish is a bit of a grey area too.

keora

Reaction score
you could send a map outlining the stream to the Land Registry and ask them for the riparian owners name. There's a fee payable for the service.

You say it's on public land - do you mean it runs through a park owned by the council ? if so contact them.

There's a beck a mile from my house which runs through a park (woods and a valley)where the land is owned by the council. It contains a few small trout, I once saw someone fishing. There's no signs saying that fishing is prohibited.

I would make discreet enquiries about fishing rights in a local tackle shop. If you can't get any info, you could risk fishing it, but prepared to be polite and apologetic if an official asks you for a permit.

thx1138

Reaction score
Ask the AE flood prevention dept who owns both banks.
I take it you mean EA?

Although the EA have access rights to perform their flood defence duties, they dont usually own the river bank. They should have details about who the landowner is.. whether they can disclose this to the public will depend on where you are. perhaps try asking the local Fisheries team if the tackle shop cant help?

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
As already said; ask at your local tackle shop, or if your talking about the upper river Mole, contact Dorking DAS.

syhaze

Reaction score
i would just fish it but be prepared to be asked to leave if a bailiff comes along.

if that happens then as long as you dont get shirty about having to move then there shouldn't be an issue. not your fault they havent signed it correctly now is it. and hopefully they will tell you how you can get permission to fish into the bargain.

tackle shops arent always the most reliable when providing info on who owns the rights to where. i bailiff for a large southern association and we regularly find folks fishing where they arent allowed after following the guidance of tackle shop employees. stay polite and be prepared to move if asked...i find keeping a tenner in my tackle bag also helps if you can buy a ticket on the bank...saves having to packup, go get money/ticket, return...

Last edited:

waggy

Reaction score
Tackle shop; keep away from officaldom. The river I fish is a bit of a grey area too.
Who says it's a grey area? Just because you don't know about something and can't be bothered to find out, doesn't make it a 'grey area'.

---------- Post added at 05:39 ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 ----------

you could alway learn a few words in Polish - that usually works:D
I use a Babel-fish myself.

soffit

Reaction score
"Who says it's a grey area? Just because you don't know about something and can't be bothered to find out, doesn't make it a 'grey area'. "

I say its a grey area. Who are you to assume what I have bothered to do or not to do. Try getting out of the right side of the bed tomorrow there's a good chap;)

waggy

Reaction score
I take it you mean EA?

Although the EA have access rights to perform their flood defence duties, they dont usually own the river bank. They should have details about who the landowner is.. whether they can disclose this to the public will depend on where you are. perhaps try asking the local Fisheries team if the tackle shop cant help?
Sorry, slip of the key James.
It's not worth the hassle to push it - say, for instance it's a National Nature reserve or something, the warden does not even have to approach you to have you in court and fined. It's a simple job of noting your vehicle number and letting the police deal with you. Happens around here all the time.
Any fishery owner can get the police out and ask them to prosecute, as most of us are probably all aware - and anyway , it's just good manners to ask first, isn't it? Nine times out of ten, you'll get permission if you go about it the right way. On the tenth occasion there's usually a good reason for saying No.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
If there are no signs then the owner cannot be too bothered to control the fishing... But always carry a few pounds for day ticket money and your EA licence and if challenged be polite and prepared to move on.
You never know being 'caught' there could actually get you permission to fish.

waggy

Reaction score
Sorry, Phil but that's the arse about face way of doing things and it gets angling a bad name. Witness the antics of our eastern European friends who use the same tactics.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

"Who says it's a grey area? Just because you don't know about something and can't be bothered to find out, doesn't make it a 'grey area'. "

I say its a grey area. Who are you to assume what I have bothered to do or not to do. Try getting out of the right side of the bed tomorrow there's a good chap;)
Well, enlighten us then.

beerweasel

Reaction score
It's a pity that there isn't an App for Google earth.
So that when you hover the cursor on a lake,pond or river bank
it tells you whether it's a day ticket,season ticket,private or free water.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It's a pity that there isn't an App for Google earth.
So that when you hover the cursor on a lake,pond or river bank
it tells you whether it's a day ticket,season ticket,private or free water.

Funnily enough a local tackle shop used to photocopy Ordinance survey maps of the surroundingl area and number every river, lake, canal in the area. On the side of the map was a key stating the name of the venue and which club/organisation owned the rights.

I still have one of all the water between Watford and Heathrow with 60 locations. printed 1992.