Millers Thumb

Reaction score
Gosh the last one I caught was on the Windrush when I was doing a bit of barbel and chub fishing. I took a photo of it in the palm of my hand.
If I remember right it took a large bit of meat and i was shocked.
Got me thinking, not seen a pope for a while.

T

The Monk

The UK distrobution lists looks quite healthy?

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/publications/JNCC312/species.asp?FeatureIntCode=S1163

Bullheads are crepuscular ? they spend the day hiding under stones or in vegetation, and come out at dusk to feed. They are widely distributed in England, and are found in streams, rivers and lakes with hard stony substrates, preferring shallow, fast-flowing water bodies. Bullheads lay their eggs underneath stones or in a pit. Male bullheads guard the eggs and fan them keep up a good supply of oxygen. Bullheads are prey for many different species, including brown trout, pike, grey heron, kingfisher and dippers.

The bullhead is threatened, and several areas of land in the UK have been selected as candidate Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) to help conserve this fish. However, more needs to be done to maintain the UK population

Trisantona

Reaction score
Only ever seen two.one i caught in wollaton canal 50 yrs. ago,long since filled in,and saw one caught in a match on the Trent about 20 yrs. ago,long higgin.

T

The Monk

we caught loads as kids in the local pools, they have definately gone on a decline

J K

Reaction score
but Monk do you still go fishing for them in the local pools?

T

The Monk

sadly all the local pools I caught them from are now under housing estates, most of them were small farm ponds and I used to love fishing these places as a child and every last one of them has been filled in, every one, and i had about 15 local to me.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Are you talking about the common bullhead with spiky things(scientific term) near its head.

W

Wolfman Woody

This was the last one I saw. one picture up from bottom.

Stu, I've not seen a pope for a while either, but their other name is a "ruffe" isn't it? Don't get monk on ruffes though, not on general fishing threads. :eek:)

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I know were there be plenty of bullheads Monk but I am not telling you were because you will capture some for your pond.

T

The Monk

no Jeff, the Ruffe, ruff or pope (Gymnocephalus cernuus), is an entiley different specie, than the Millers Thumb which is also known as a Bullhead (Cottus gobio)

W

Wolfman Woody

Yes, Monk. I was following from Stu's posting and I know he knows what the difference is as do I.

He said "Got me thinking, not seen a pope for a while." Perhaps he might have made it clearer if he'd said "Got me thinking, not seen a pope for a while, either."

They're two fish that don't figure in our part of the Thames much, nor the Thame (two different rivers btw). I used to catch lots of pope or ruffe in the 80's and one or two in the 90s, but I haven't seen one this century.

Gudgeon are also as rare as rocking horse droppings these days.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

Millers Thumb was first fish I caught on cane and bent pin. Not seen a Gudgeon for some time, River Dane was full of them.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Why am I not surprised you ain't seen a a bullhead for years?.........Errr because you don't fish anymore!

And the last time you used maggots was 97 on a certain reservoir somewhere in the Pennines

T

The Monk

and wht a great session that was, cheers Phil

Or the Ruffe Slapper (arsus maximus).

haha, I like it, not seen many of those for a while either Trish

Reaction score
Jeff the last pope I caught was around 6 years ago on the Thames at Shillingford while trying to catch livebaits with my whip.
Never forget that day as it was real hot and we sat under cover of a willow tree with our old buddy Toby. Had lots of small silvers and a few good perch and to top it a nice chicken and mushroom pie :)
I can also remember Pa crossing over the electric fence and getting hold of it :) Big chuckle!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

"a nice chicken and mushroom pie"

Your downfall them are Stu. Hahahaha!

Funny but it always seemed to be when the weather was at its hottest that you caught the old pope. Never gave it a thought until now, but I don't think I've caught many in winter with an easterly gale blowing. They're damned good fighters though and just a pity they don't reach weights of 7 lbs and upwards.

F

Fred Bonney

Not seen a Pope or Ruffe for donkey's years,fishing the Blackwater in Essex.

Caught a Bullhead, in the Trent,last season.