what happens to fish in a big flood?

richie

Reaction score
I had a cracking mornings fishing on the Don in Sheffield on Sunday. I caught 8 species of fish - Chub, Perch, Grayling, trout, Roach, Barbel, minnows and gudgeon.
Anyone out there whose experienced a flood on this scale this on their rivers know what i am likely to find when i go next? I can't see how a lot of the fish could have avoided being swept downstream, damaged by all the crap washing about or left stranded when the waters dropped.

T

The Monk

Believe it or not some actually drowned, overs simply get flushed away and /or end up stranded

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Floods account for the death of a lot of the older and weaker fish. Also for some of the fry. However things are never as bad as they look. Healthy fish find nooks and crannies in the river bed which enables them to withstand major floods.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
They hide anywhere that offers them protection, behind rocks, under banks, on the inside of bends in the river, in depressions in the river bed, sidestreams are a favourite too.

Remember that the speed of the water near the bed of the river is considerably slower than the current, even in flood this is still a factor. Providing the fish doesn't allow the current to pass underneath him thereby forcing him upwards into the flow he can ride out most floodwater conditions if necessary.

Fish that are weakened through age, disease or injury plus fry which don't have the strength to keep station will be swept away and may or may not perish. Fish will feed even in flood conditions so they can't be all that inconvenienced can they?