Tench on the pole

D

Denis Goulding 2

Hi,
I have messed around pole fishing for the last number of years and i think it is about time i got a proper pole with a couple of top threes. The pole i am using at the moment is over 30 years old and is real heavy , saying this i have caught a lot of big fish with it.
I am looking for a pole that will not break the bank, about 11m or more and that will deal with tench on the cnal and carp on the stocked fisheries to 8lb.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thank you.
Regards,
Denis

D

Denis Goulding 2

Stevie,
Well i know they go into thousands, but i dont want to spend that much, up to 400 euro i suppose, as u can see its a fairly tight budget.
Regards,
Denis

E

EC

The MAP poles are popular for commercials and bigger fish Denis, I think they do a 14 metre job for about 300 rips mate!

Have a search on google or visit a few of the shops advertised on the left of the page!

D

Denis Goulding 2

Stevie,
Thanks mate , i did see poles on ebay for 70 sterling 11m capable of up to size 16 elastics but would not post to Ireland. What stenght ( no.) and make of elastic would be suitable for waht i am after..
Regards,
Denis.......

S

Stevie 12345

I personally not a big fan of ebay and always a bit sceptical about where the gear comes from, however there are many people on here that swear by it, but for me its just too hit and miss.

If your going to buy a product like a pole that is a main form fishing equipment I would avoid Ebay like the plague. Go down to be best tackle shop/s you can find and have a look and feel the poles that you would be most comfortable with.

For under ?300.00 MAP (like EC suggests) have the most choice and are very popular and reputable.

If you want to save and spend a little more there are some belters in the form of a Shimano Exage AX 14.5m and Garbolino Premier legion 16m, but that said you wont be disappointed with a MAP pole.

Elastics are again a personal choice but you wont go wrong with the Daiwa hydroelastic range, I would rig up with the black and purple. If your after anything over 8lb put in red.

Reaction score
You could always look at some of the margin poles like the daiwa yank and bank. Might not reach across a canal but would be fine for lots of small fisheries or large ones come to that. At about 1/2 your budget too.
Just a thought for you, hope you don't mind.

I too like hydro. I've black and purple fitted to my Drennan margin pole and had lots of fun on both including a nice pike :)

If possible try to find a shop with the poles on show/pole alley. You can try them out to see what pole feels nice and would be right for you.

D

Denis Goulding 2

Thanks a million lads, have been to a couple of shops this week and i am trying to decide on whether to go for a pole with a couple of top threes and a cupping section or one with justone top three.
Have also looked in the uk catalogues and there is just a huge range of poles compared to what we have here.
Some of the poles mentioned above have to be ordered and a deposit on them before u even get a chance to see them..
So looking to u guys for your expertise.
Regards,
Denis..................