More blanking

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm now right in the north of India, in the Ladakh region of Kashmir.

It's spectacular here, almost beyond belief. It's a cold desert at an elevation of 13500 feet. Freezing cold at night, the sun during the day will burn you in minutes. I've never seen a sky as blue as this.

Anyway enough of that melodramatic claptrap, this is a fishing site.

I've sill to catch a fish in India. I've had 2 short sessions on the local river; the Indus. Any geography nuts out there will know that it flows east to become the major river in Pakistan.

Around here it's a glacier fed river, maybe 40-50 yards wide. It's a bit like a northern Game river, having long riffles with occasional pools.

This area, despite being in India, is predominantly Buddhist. This is great if you want to meditate, or perhaps see religious buildings (Gompas).

For the avid angler though, it's not great, as this religion sees all animals as being entitled to respect, and life.

Unfortunately, as I was to find out, careful catch and release is not seen as adequate respect towards fish!

Anyway, despite this, I decided to fish. Maybe I'm bordering on being obsessed with fishing, or perhaps it's my Mancunian upbringing. Whatever, this lad was going to be guesting, big style.

My first session was a complete blank. It was only an hour or so at the start of a 4 day trek, so not much to go off really, but I liked the river.

A week later my recently purchased mountain bike took me to (I thought) a nice quiet spot on the river.

I parked the bike and made my way along the river; alternating between various flies, and small spinners/ lures.

After 2 hours I came across a pod of rising fish. I've no idea what they were but they were big; giving huge slashing takes to Mayfly-like creatures that were floating past.

No sooner than I had tied on my biggest dry fly, as I was about to make that precise cast on to the snout of the mysterious beast that lay hidden within the green water, there was a tap on my shoulder:

I turned round, this old woman started jabbering in my face in her language. It seemed that she didn't approve of fishing. 'No, no, no! she yelled. I tried my best to explain that I didn't intend to harm the fish. My best efforts at sign language; including pretending to rock fishy cradles didn't have any impression on this beast of a woman.

The final straw was when she grabbed my arm, started shouting 'Gompa! Gompa!' while making face-slapping gestures. I love my fishing, but I really didn't fancy being led to the local Gompa for my due punishment.

So, I'm still to catch in India.

Next stop Dodital Lake in Uttaranchal. It's 5 days by bus from here, then 2 days trek with Mules. It's supposed to be full of Trout and Mahseer. We will see.

Regards to all
Ric

filynet

Reaction score
Sounds fantastic Ric and goodluck your missing now't back home.
Regards Phil

Morespiders

Reaction score
Oh dear,your bloody lucky , Im still waiting at the bus stop.

Good luck though Ric, must catch sooner or later,

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Ric...you chose a Buddist hotspot to go fishing?? hahahaa luv it!

E

EC

Hope you pushed her in Ric, or at least fired maggots through her windows.

Steve Lockett

Reaction score
Had similar on a tiny river up a mountain in Karnataka. Me and Dr Everard were actually carrying out scientific research (well Mark was, I was taking the photos) hoping to track down what may have been one of the original strains of Deccan Mahseer.
After a one hour trek from the last place our 4WD could get through, we came to the river and found the fish, but they were outside a temple.
Our guide explained to the temple watchman that we only wanted to net a fish out and take photos of it, plus close ups of certain parts of its anatomy.
There was no way he was budging, we could not touch the fish at all.
He then fed them some leaves, which had them going mad, jumping out of the water in a bid to get to them first. Next, he explained that having tame fish made it easier to catch them when they wanted to eat them on festival occasions!
We went away with memories only, although we did go back to the river a week later and fished 2 miles downstream where we caught loads of them.
And no, they weren't the Mahseer we hoped they were.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Had the same on the Ramganga in the foothills of the Himalayas, finally found a pool with some fish in - all the others we looked at were full of villagers nets! - but it was outside the temple and the prioest wouldn't let us fish even with the offer of a large (by their standards) donation to the temple.
Got to respect their customs though, I suppose it is no different ot the way we view eastern europeans in this country takign fish for the pot.
Best of luck with the rest of your trip, sounds amazing, nice just to be there even if the fishing is slow.

Reaction score
Me and my mate Jim got busted 'guesting' on Karanji lake outside Mysore after an info mix up (we naively thought you could buy the required 'hunting' permits on the bank). We were informed there was a fine of about 3 quid, which seemed a reasonable day ticket rate! :)

Jim lost a good sized fish which we presumed to be a rohu and we shared our swim with a 9ft cobra which attacked another shorter brown snake and nicked the fish supper we had just watched him catch.

Keep at it Ric. The fishing (and India) can seem like a war of attrition at times but both are ultimately hugely rewarding. Good luck mate, keep us posted.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good things come to those who wait and you've got plenty of time on your hands Ric.

Good luck mate, the next report might be spectacular ;-)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Long way to go to blank -- you could have stayed at home and blanked and saved a lot of money .......

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
You're joking ed! I'm living comfortably here on a tenner a day.

Finally found a fish-packed venue yesterday. Dall Lake, near the village of Baghsu, which in turn is near Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh.

Absolutely stuffed with Carp, the perfect place to break my run of blanks.

Just one problem: you guessed; it's a 'sacred site', so no fishing. Arghhh!! The Dalai Lama lives in excile nearby; I should have guessed really...

By the way Morespiders; which bus stop are you waiting at? I did look out for you on my way to the airport... You must be pretty wet by now :)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"I'm living comfortably here on a tenner a day."

Us pensioners do that here .....

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Sounds like your having a fantastic time Ric, morespiders tricked me he told me the bus 32! I'm still waiting for it to come along and say India on the front. ;o}

Keep your reports coming they're great!