cooking particles.

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
My question today is that, Can u cook/soak particles in tap water? Also how do prepare them so they are pva friendly. THANKS, CMM

sam vimes

Reaction score
My question today is that, Can u cook/soak particles in tap water? Also how do prepare them so they are pva friendly. THANKS, CMM

Yes, most do. I don't tend to soak before boiling though. What I do is use a cooler box filled with boiling water. This tends to soak and part cook in one. I then finish it off by boiling in a pan with clean tap water.
PVA friendly is a bit more difficult. Dry finishing it is almost impossible, the only option I can think of would be trying to add masses of salt. Reality is that I wouldn't even try, just break out the spod.

mol

Reaction score
Tap water is ok, rain water better and lake water ideal.

I used to just dry the cooked particles with a light dusting of groundbait, the sun does the same job. If I remember correct soaking cooked particles in a very strong salt water solution also made them PVA friendly, I can't remember the amounts quoted but with it being salt water I doubt it would matter too much.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have only made hemp PVA friendly, though I don't see why you couldn't use the same method for other particles. I drained the cooked hemp thoroughly and then dried it as best I could in an old towel, I then added a good glug of Hemp oil and mixed it around to evenly coat the seeds.

This worked at least as well as commercially bought particles.

Tesco's sell the hemp oil at a reasonable price and far cheaper than tackle companies.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Covering moist particles with icing sugar seals in the moisture and enables you to put them into PVA bags/funnel webs without the bag melting. Another way to put hemp, or other wet particles, into PVA bags is to cover them in some type of groundbait in order to soak up the moisture.
Jerry

agamemnon

Reaction score
seeing as the wife has banned me from cooking particles especially hemp in the kitchen i soak mine in hot water from the kettle for 48 hours then give a quick boil up on my camping stove in fresh water, it only takes a couple of mins to cook after a good soak

MRWELL

Reaction score
This is a article i posted on another forum on Particles preperations so i copied it over to here for you to use if you like,it is only a rough guide but you will find it is not far out in terms of soaking and cooking times,as for PVA bags then the ideas already given are the ones to follow,feel free to copy this if you like...thanks.

Particles are used in fishing a lot these days and as such need to be right so they offer no harm to the fish,uncooked Particles can cause untold damage to the fish even death so it is important you prepare them the right way.

Like many things there are slight alternatives to use because of preferences used by others but over all there is a rule of thumb to follow and if followed you should find it will help you no ends in making the most of your particle baits,the flavour,colouring and texture all come from the correct preparation and although you can buy particles like Sweetcorn and Hemp precooked ready for use they can work out expensive so buying in bulk from your local farm shop or pet shop can and will save you a load of money but you are buying the natural seeds so they need preparing in the right way so with all that being said i think a list of the common particles used today is needed.....

ALL THE FOLLOWING HAVE THE SAME SOAKING/COOKING TIMES.

BROAD BEANS

BLACKEYED PEAS

MAPLE PEAS

PEA NUTS

RED KIDNEY BEANS

TARES

CHICK PEAS .... these can be used from tin if precooked.

Soak for 12 hours ...... boil for 30 minutes for all the above particles

The next three have a longer soaking time.

HAZEL NUTS

MAZE

TIGER NUTS

These should be soaked for 24 hours .... boiled for 30 minutes.

HEMP

Should be soaked for 12 hours..... boiled until split...1 minute is the norm but could take longer.

WHEAT

SWEETCORN

Although sweetcorn can be used direct from tins you can boil them for around 20 minutes to give them a soft texture and it helps if you are adding colour or flavours to them.

Wheat is soaked for 12 hours and no need to boil but you can do the same as sweetcorn so it takes on colour,flavour and becomes softer

There you have it there might be a few i have missed off the list like pearl barley that i know some use but over all i think i have covered the most common ones used today but if you need or want to know about the Pearl Barley preparation then follow the top list of times for Broad Beans ext.

Remember this is meant as a guideline only and variations are available but these are personal preferences really so what i have put here is a rule of thumb guide ..... good luck.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
tinned mackeral in oil?? just a thought

I'd wondered about that...or maybe tuna.Really wanted to use the off cuts and bits I seem to accumulate during a session rather than feeding them to the ducks....though watching a mallard have a go at a mackerel head is always worth the entrance money.

mol

Reaction score
Is there any way to make minced fish PVA friendly ? I fancy a bag of "chum" round my bait when I'm zandering. I've heard that rock salt works....anybody tried it ?

I get a similar presentation for pike but via a completely different route.

Whilst freezing some bait down I cut fresh deadbaits into sections, mince a few up in a blender and then freeze some 'chum' around the deadbait sections.