how do you manage

nicky

Reaction score
I went to a commercial a few weeks ago which i know to contain large perch so i fished one ledger rod with a lobworm and kept myself busy with another float rod.
The water in question contains quite a few carp so i fished with the anti reverse off in case a carp grabbed it, only when i did eventually get what looked like a perch bite i messed up the strike as in the heat of the moment forgot about the anti reverse, is there anyway around this problem other than to sit hovering over the ledger rod and forget about float fishing.

BarryC

Reaction score
I know what you mean done the same thing myself fishing for bream.
If it's any help the more you do it the more you get in the habit of engaging the freespool before striking.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I personally think if you're fishing, you fish one method or the other.

As you have experienced watching a float needs far more concentration than watching two ledger rods!

The alternative is to use a bait runner type reel

nicky

Reaction score
If i'm carp fishing with a quiver and not sat with the rod in my hand i always stick a short bank stick in the ground between the reel and line this gives me time to pick up the rod without it getting pulled in and although it might not sound the most professional way of doing it i can say hand on heart i have never had a rod pulled in, but carp i find usually hook themselves and it is only a matter of carefully picking up the rod and playing the fish. Yet when fishing lobworms for perch it isn't so easy and a carefully timed strike is required, engaging the anti reverse/bait runner before striking can mean the difference between connecting with a fish and not. I think my problem is i would like to split my time between specimen hunting and pleasure fishing but only usually having the chance to go once a week as much as i want to go out and out specimen hunting i always have this nagging urge to cover both bases, as you all know there is a greater chance of blanking when targeting specimens and sometimes long periods of inactivity, and if this happens i hate waiting for the following week before i can try again. maybe if i had more time i would do things differently.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I personally think if you're fishing, you fish one method or the other.

As you have experienced watching a float needs far more concentration than watching two ledger rods!

The alternative is to use a bait runner type reel

Totally agree, Fred...and then only if you expect to have to wait a bit.I simply cannot fish two rods on radically different methods. Far better IMO to fish one rod well than two rods badly. The only time you'll ever find me fishing two rods is when I'm deadbaiting or a very,very occasional go at "proper" carping.

agamemnon

Reaction score
i must be one of the few wierdo's left on the planet as i always fish with the anti reverse off. if i have a float out ill fish the rods at an angle with the float in line with the tip of the quiver so i can keep an eye on both. but i do tend to rely on tghe big bang with my quiver as small bites are hard to notice as most of the time im watching the float.
try setting the leger rod up with a bite alarm rather than just on the quiver

caesarson

Reaction score
On my ledge ring rig. I always use a float stop above the bomb. That way the fish will set the hook and you don't nreed to strike then. Just lift the rod and wind into the fish

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
How about using an alarm with a lightweight bobbin on a really long drop? This would give you a longer indication time between the bite and the point at which you'd strike (good for perch too!) At this time of year, carp might bite a little less forcibly that in summer and if you're fishing with as little resistance as possible (good for perch too!) then I would expect to get some early indications before the biting fish actually swims off. Keeping the resistance as low as possible lessens the tendancy of the fish to bolt.

With a pair of long banksticks a two foot drop should be possible.

(By drop, I mean the distance between the bite indicator bobbin and the alarm)