The Alternative Angler ? Fin-telligence

W

Wolfman Woody

Does it matter?

If you are to maintain your record of blanking at every venue, Kevin, what does it matter what type of rod it is or what is written on the butt? It could say 'TUNA' and it wouldn't matter if all you tossed out on it was a small crow quill for gudgeon.

Still, I suppose at the end of the day for you to maintain your image of being a hard-nosed, bare-faced, pig-ignorant and grumpy tight-fisted customer is all that mattered and in that it seems you succeeded. Well done Kevin.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Most of the tackle these days catches more anglers than fish!

I have seen a very interesting rod by DAM that is a two part 12' 1 1/2lb TC rod that also comes with a 3 tip quiver tip end section. so two rods in one.

Had some funny name but did not mention any fish on it so maybe it is not a species specific device and any fish is allowed to get a bite on it.

I only started fishing a year ago and was amazed when I started reading up on tackle and baits that the equipment I had been using would never catch the fish I had caught, I thought to myself how could I have been so stupid as to catch fish without spending ?300 on the "right" tackle to do the job.

I must admit I still sneak off to a secluded bit of river and use that very first rod and still catch fish with it, but I try not to be seen by the tackle police. Nothing is brand name and there are no matching sets!! I feel like a criminal knowing I have outsmarted the tackle dealers again!

K

Kevin Perkins

Woody
"For you to maintain your image of being a hard-nosed, bare-faced, pig-ignorant and grumpy tight-fisted customer is all that mattered and in that it seems you succeeded" - You know me so well......!

But what if I popped over to my local lake for a spot of bream fishing, and some other angler saw me using rods labelled 'Barbel' -would I be leaving myself open to ridicule?
Then again, probably no more than I do now anyway.

I would rather have unbranded rods ready for when I come over to Marlow, then I can say I was fishing for whatever I catch, or whatever I don't catch, as is more likely!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Kevin my old son, you should have a rod like mine, it has the alphabet printed on it so the fish can pick which letters suit them best. So far I have managed to catch one plastic bag, one small branch and a small roach this proves surely that it is truly universal, if only I had thought to get the "Super" version I could have had one with numbers on as well thereby becoming any test curve the fish chooses.

W

Wolfman Woody

Woodn't muttar hear, lick me, de ghoti can't zpell or reed.

N

NomadPaul

I was going to try my hand at building myself a rod but now after discovering i have to start with a 'blank' , i think i could be wasting my time -

Terry Harvey

Reaction score
When I was a young fellow (pause for ribald laughter) one rod did everything, proably not very well but we caught fish and that was the name of the game. Now it's use this rod use that bit of tackle and what happens you spend a bloudy lot of money in the tackle shop.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
But the dealer was right, Kevin. You have nothing written on your rods and that's exactly what you have been catching. Nothing. And, funny thing, I was fishing with a couple of Dictators when I first met the wife and her mother. Manning is not dead...

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I have a hand crafted split cane minnow master Kevin if you are interested,it is genuinly split cane as I trapped the bloody thing in the door so it is no longer just a cane.I can rub minnow out and put stickleback on if you aint into fishing for the heavyweights or alternativly I can just put snag like I have on mine.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jim - Dictator - Lol!

On reflection, I may have been bit unkind to the shop owner, but I did get the impression that he was veryinterested in selling me something (anything!) from his stock, and far less keen to get something in as a special order.

And as for not having names on butts, I seem to remember we used to have bottom rods that were never labelled thus.......

J

John Huntley

Let me know when you are off to the tackle shop next Kevin so that I can come and watch!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
John
I know that Jason over at J & K Tackle in Bicester has got a lot of rods in stock, and I might just pay him a visit this weekend, I nearly popped into Veals' in Bristol last Saurday, as I was down that way. There again, Julian and the boys at Gilder's in Northampton haven't had the pleasure of my custom for a while, so they are due a call (I would take a trip up to see my old mate Mr Harry Peck at Bennetts of Sheffield, but I haven't got any chest waders at the moment)

Hmm.... Strikes me I could make a living as one of those 'Secret Shopper' types, asking akward questions, pulling the shop apart and buying nothing to gauge the reaction. Any manufacturers/suppliers want to give me a job?

W

Wolfman Woody

There's a guy in Tackle and Guns, trade mag, does just that, Kevin.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Sympathy Vote....!

I've been whinging away on FM for over five years about my lack of success with things piscatorial, and not much sympathy has been forthcoming, I can tell you.

I doubt I will fare any better with those mean, hard-hearted money grabbing tackle dealers....

Clansman .

Reaction score
I go into my Local Tackle Dealer on a regular basis www.carlsons.co.uk and have to say that he is the most obliging owner/dealer that I know of.

As I have a limited budget he knows that I don't want expensive rods etc. I purchased today a Shakespeare IN2 9ft 6in ledger rod with swing tip and a Leeda Carp Match reel total price for the 2 items ?29.00.

He also knows that I will fish for whatever is there and wont try to sell me or anyone else for that matter something that I/they don't want or need.