Tactics for France

Reaction score
In a few weeks time, I will be going to Frnce to fish Beausoleil, a small four acre estate tupe lake in Brittany.

It is heavily stocked with all sorts of sizes carp up to upper forties. It is fished almost every week of the year and therefore has seen almost everything.

My main attack is going to be small pva sticks and fish for one fish at a time.

What alternative would you try? No particles allowed!

B

Big Rik

definitely fish for one at a time and the snack/pva approach seems sensible.
It's always worth baiting up a marginal area on a daily basis for either a spot of stalking or one down the edge after a few days.

Might also be worth baiting a groundbait/method spot, as it's heavily stocked, but away from your main area, in case it goes all wrong.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I would bait ONE patch in the swim fairly heavily from day one and fish one rod on the bait with another just off of the patch and then the third with bags as you suggest. Whatever you do don't bait the whole swim in case the fish don't want beds but the system above will let you know how they want to feed.

K

Keith Finn

Catfish tend to come from the same areas time and time again.
If you don't want them don't fish the area where they tend to come out of.
Otherwise I would fish as I would here but with bigger fish the target.
Keith

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Catfish will eat whatever you put in front of them but they are one of very few freshwater fish with a stomach so once they have had a feed they need to rest up to digest what they have eaten. If there are quite a few anglers on the lake and you are all putting in plenty of bait the cats will probably have had their fill long before the carp.

Reaction score
Good point Keith. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view point), I am the only person on the lake.

If the lake is only a few acres, is it worth sprinkling boilies over most of the lake to make sure that the carp can pick it up anywhere, and then slowly concentrating on specific areas as the week goes on?

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. give them a taste and then drag them into the baited hooks.
Be lucky.

addicts

Reaction score
the first time i fished in france i met a bloke from holland and he said small amounts . so we did small meaning in englang bags but we had no joy but watched him catch loads in hard conditions. then the last night he put out our lines in he's bait boat. and by small amounts he ment 1kg iv just come back and i use a lot of bird seed mixed with hemp with a load of the laked pellets we found that small in france is big feed up here