When it's RAINING.....

E

EC

Or which ones oblige least?

I have generally done ok for river species in heavy prolonged rain, but not so some stillwater species.

Roach, perch, carp and occasionally crucians I have caught during heavy rain, but I cannot remember catching tench in any numbers during rainfall.

captain carrott

Reaction score
stillwater barbel.

i've had both tench and carp in the pouring rain in still waters, especially after a long hot bit when you get a thunderstorm.

and bream like rain as well.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My experience is that fish are put off feeding during prolonged rain especially if its heavy on rivers and pools but come back on or start even, when it stops, I think this applies to all fish. Rain and wind always affect fishing to a greater or lesser degree depending on the severity of it, wind putting a chop on pools is like switching on for fish to start feeding, flat calm can mean poor fishing. No hard and fast rules though as with most things in fishing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Most fish seem to stop feeding when it is hammering in down. This has been my experience in several countries of the world, although there can be exceptions.

I have caught lots of fish when there has been a slight drizzle. In fact last week I caught lots and lots of tench and bream under these conditions.

The fish that seem to really turn off when it rains are trout, pike, bass and other predators.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Carp didn't mind the torriential rain today, althogh I didn't get that eel. Again.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Ron saying that I had 3 pike in a day during the winter when it chucking it down?

T

The Monk

its not so much the rain as its temperiture, although carp usually start feeding after the storm, when everything goes quiet nd the water turns to a mirror like image

E

EC

I can remember catching chub quite a few times during a serious downpour.