Greys Triad rod

Adrian Gale

Reaction score
I am not a sea fisherman but having in recent years took to holidaying in the u.k. Have took to giving it a go.

My wife brought me the Triad rod from Grey's as a present and my question is, What are the velcro straps and the butt extension for?

Sorry if its a dumb question.

alan

Reaction score
i take it its rung for multiplier reel.

you wont have a reel seat, the straps are to hold the reel in place, pretty much anywhere you want it.

if you use the reel at the bottom of the rod, controlling it with your left hand, you can use the butt extender when you are reeling in.

don't try to cast with the butt extender as its not as strong as the rod and can/will break.

David Craine

Reaction score
Alan... I think that you would find the Velcro is for strapping the tip section alongside the butt section for transporting the rod to your preferred fishing spot... Velcro would never hold either a Multi or Mangle when they are subjected to casting or reeling in.
So far as The butt extension, well, I have a couple of Zipplex, the extensions are as solid as a rock, I know many accomplished beach Anglers who actually glue the extension in place and use it to mount their Multis on "down Butt" for casting, I have done so myself on my Rock Rod,no probs.
:0)

Adrian Gale

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your help. The rod has a reel seat for a fixed spool which can be moved any where. The butt extension is smooth and very solid.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Are you sure its set for a fixe spool. You can use the same reel seat for both. You can tell if its rung for multipliers by the size of the first ring and number of eyes on the rod. Multipliers have more usually about 8. Fixed spools have about 5.

alan

Reaction score
David, ive used and seen others use a rubbery velco type strap to hold reels on with.

as to gluing the reducer in, sort of defeats the object that, you just as well stick the reel 12 inches up the handle rather then at the bottom.

David Craine

Reaction score
Or buy a longer rod....it happens. and has happened loads of times.
I stand by what I have said... Velcro is just not strong enough... but... I have seen others use a strip of rubber from an inner tube, cut to about 8" long, then stretched around the Butt and reel seat, strapping same to rod, the compression of the rubber really works, but there are no Velcro like mini hooks and eyes , just plain rubber.. maybe you are a bit mistaken ?.. so far as Velcro is concerned... I have never ever seen rubber Velcro.. if you can point me in the right direction then I would be very gratefull.
:0)

Adrian Gale

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your help. The rod is 13ft and has nine eyes. The Grey's website does not mention which type of reel it is made for. I have took some photos of it but do not know how to attach them to the message.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Sounds like its rung for a multiplier to me. You could still use a fixed spool but you will not get the same itance as there will be more friction on the line.