I'm back Fishing after 25 Years

Kevin Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say that I am back fishing again after about a 25-year absence and really loving it again. I have to thank my children for it.

I use to fish every weekend when I was in my teens but some how got drawn away when I started working at 16.

Last year my three children, Emily 13, Ben 11 and Josh 7, persuaded me to take them fishing while on Holiday in Walton on the Naze.

They were staying at a caravan site with their Mum and Nan and I joined them for a week having already sent down all my old fishing gear. All my tackle was in good condition (25 yrs storage) so all I had to pay out for was the bait but we could not find a tackle shop that was close by and we did not have a car. This I thought would get me out of going.

My kids got their way in the end and I was forced to take them. I was relying on the generosity of other anglers to help with the bait. True to form, other anglers gave me some bait and so we had all the tools we needed for an afternoons fishing.

It would be fair to say that I did not expect any of us to catch anything but we all did, even me which was a big bonus as I spent most of the time untangling my kids rods. If I remember correctly, in the space of a couple of hours we had caught about 10 fish between us, me with 5 and the kids sharing the rest. I felt a bit guilty about this as the chaps who gave me the bait did not catch anything but they did not seem to mind too much.

Since then I have not been again until a couple of weeks ago when I got my tackle finally back from Walton. My daughter Emily decided that we should all go fishing again and went out and bought me and her a rod licence and gave me the bill when she next saw me.

That was it, I was backed into a corner again so I had to take them and I'm glad I did. We went to Jacks Lake, Hadley Woods which is just up the road from us and had a great day out. Again we all caught, me with 6, Emily with 4, Ben with 3 and Josh with 2.

I have decided that we will go as often as possible from now on with all my kids up for it.

I am glad that I was railroaded back into fishing and happy that my kids are showing a keen interest. It will be great to pass on what experience I have and any tips and advise I can to them and hopefully they will keep up the interest for many years to come.

Apart from the thrills of catching fish again, it has given me the opportunity to spend some quality time with my kids. So a win win situation.

Kevin Matthews

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Well done Kevin old chap

Most angler on here fall in to 2 camps:

Those that picked up a rod at about 5 and have never stopped ie. Ron Clay

And those who like yourself (me as well) who stopped when about 14 - 16 and then came back to the sport some years later

Tally Ho

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Well done Kevin and welcome back.If you're only up the road from Jacks Lake you should think about joining. Have a look at their site on www.haps.org.uk

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Most people who take up, or re-take up, angling in later life, usually appreciate it all the more. Keep us all in touch Kevin with your angling adventures.

J K

Reaction score
Welcome Kevin, I to had a break of over 20 years and as Graham says these days fishing seems far more enjoyable than I ever remember it in the past.

T

The Monk

welcome back Kevin, looks like you`ve just wasted 25 years of your life mate

Kevin Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks guys for welcoming me back. I don't know why I stopped in the first place!!!!

I've had some good luck on my first couple of trips and hope it stays that way. I don't remember having that luck when I was younger, Maybe it was the kids!! Anyway, at least I didn't look a loser infront of them which has probably helped to keep them interested.

Thanks Smokedodger, I've had a look and think that I will join up but need to update my tackle a bit first and get the kids their own.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
Pleasure mate. Oakwood Angling in Reservoir Rd, N.14 is your nearest Tackle Shop I think.

Kevin Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Smokedodger, I too first went fishing in Ally Pally. You know you cant fish there anymore. I take it you must have lived around there, I did, born and raised in Muswell Hill.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
You got it, born and raised Alexandra Park Road the Wood Green end, walk up Talbot Rd into Vallance Rd into The Avenue and then into the Pally. Went to school at Cecil Rhodes.

Clive (Compact Angler ACA)

Reaction score
Welcome Back Kevin

I also stopped 25 years ago when I was in my early thirties and the kids were young. I started back about the middle of last season and it's the best thing I have done in recent years.

Hope that you have many more years of pleasure from the sport and of course Emily Ben and Josh also. We need all the youngsters we can get to start enjoying angling now.

Good luck all of you.

Rich P

Reaction score
It seems to be a growing trend. I also stopped at 15 and started again at 41. Not sure that I've missed 25 years though (as the Monk suggests) - might have missed the odd weekend though!

I have to agree with Clive; it's good to be back on the riverbank. Having said that, things have certainly changed. It's a lot more commercial now. Even in the Angling Press they seem to state exactly what hooks/line/etc have been used. There are far too many journalists with a vested interest in the companies that sponsor them.

For me it's just therapy and listening to the flow of the river.

Tight lines all and have a good season...

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Nice one Kevin, and welcome to fishing magic. I'm sure you'll enjoy your visits here, as much as you do out on the banks. Everyone is full of advice and tips.

wendy

M

MarkTheSpark

What a lovely story, Kevin. Welcome to FM, too, where the FM really stands for Flaming Madmen. Best fishing website on the planet, stuffed to the borders with blokes who will help you.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Welcome back Kevin you'll find most on FM more than willing to help you find your feet after your long lay off :eek:)