Tiny little reels

Paul Morley

Reaction score
ultra light spinning and some river work like Fred. Oh and canals. If you like small or light rods, they're great..

little oik

Reaction score
I use 2500 s and have to be careful on what line I use on them .I do not know if the spools on these smaller reels are the same or even smaller .Do you guys that use them have this problem .

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use them for ultra-light spinning but to get the best from them I use braid as the low memory works best on the small spools.

Mark

sam vimes

Reaction score
Interesting thread, to be honest I have never felt the need to drop below a 2500.
Jerry

Jerry,
precisely why I've asked, but I've actually found 2500s a little small. Often the bodies are the same size but spools, rotors and handles are smaller. It's the small handles I don't find comfortable. However, Mark makes an interesting point that I did consider. Smaller diameter spools can lead to greater issues with line memory. Tight little pigtails of line isn't good.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Jerry,
precisely why I've asked, but I've actually found 2500s a little small. Often the bodies are the same size but spools, rotors and handles are smaller. It's the small handles I don't find comfortable. However, Mark makes an interesting point that I did consider. Smaller diameter spools can lead to greater issues with line memory. Tight little pigtails of line isn't good.

I had a pair of 1000 sized Shimano's that I used for trotting before I caught the pin bug. They were OK but memory did become an issue and the handle "throw" I found a bit too tight so they got retired. TBH some of the modern 3000 sized reels are as small & light as you like so I can't see any real advantage in tiny reels. I feel much the same [only reversed] about big reels...anything over about 4000 size I find too big & too heavy for what I do. Unbalances the rod and I just dont need a reel that holds half a mile of 12lb line.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I often use little Shimanos when float fishing for mullet. My preference for centrepins is sadly put aside on such occasions as the wind down in the harbour is a big influence. The high quality clutch is also a big factor for me when targeting those fish.

The fact I bought a couple at incredibly cheap prices whilst working in The States also helps as I don't think I would have paid UK prices at that time.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jerry,

Yes, if you use something like spiderwire braid you have no probs with memory coil, but if you use mono on a small spool, no matter how many times you cast out you will never rid the line of its supply spool.

Mark

Richard Jamieson 2

Reaction score
I use a Shimano Symetre 500 reel with 10lb Spiderwire braid for light spinning on a Savagear Troutizimo 0-5gram rod. The rod hardly weighs anything being only six and a half feet long so the small reel does a nice job of balancing it. Due to the braided line there's no problems with coiling. I've never used mono for spinning for that reason.

Sent from my iPad

sumtime

Reaction score
Had my Shim 1000 for some years now, mainly use it for my holidays and sometimes fishing on the canal spinning with a 5g-10g 8'6" Daiwa Samurai, brilliant, never had a problem with it. One of the best reels I've ever owned.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have a couple of 2500's.
One is an old single handle 'budget' model, have had it about 20 years and it's great for fishing with lines of three to 4lb.

The other is an XTFA mini baitrunner, again a great little reel for light bomb/ feeder work.

nicepix

Reaction score
My little River Don Special has had a Regal 1500 reel on it for just under two years now. I might use it once or twice a month. The line is 4lb Maxima and has no discernible twist or memory.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Don't forget to bring it on Sunday Ray, if the river's a bit pacy it'll make a good plummet - don't want to loose a 99p job.............................

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Don't forget to bring it on Sunday Ray, if the river's a bit pacy it'll make a good plummet - don't want to loose a 99p job.............................

Hahaha, you may mock, but i haven't found a small reel as good to this day, sizes 3000 and over yes, but under 3000, NO.

What is a Plummet ?

I am right in thinking it is one of Paul Boote threads that no body looks at ?:eek:mg::eek::w:)

robtherake

Reaction score
I have a brilliant little ABU 700u Ultralight for light spinning - it has a centre drag system similar to the Suveran. Also still use a 1954 Mitchell 308 on occasion, for margin float fishing or light legering.

Last edited:

neil1970

Reaction score
I use a 1000 reel on my medium spinning set up - I had a 2500 on the rod before and it made the set up imbalanced, the 1000 is perfect.