Ilfracombe

E

EC

Am off to Ilfracombe for a family holiday in the not too distant future and I am hoping to do a spot of sea fishing.

I would like to take as little kit as possible so I can just go when the opportunity arises.

Is it worth me taking a basic lure fishing outfit or will I need beachcasting gear and fresh bait?

Cheers
EC

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Eddie, do a google "pictures of ilfracombe"

Mullet from the harbour, bass, mack' and conger of the rocks behind that big lump! Frothey might know a lot more about it?

Good luck and have a nice time.

F

Frothey

sorry Ed, only just seen it

Spinning gear will work off the rocks just fine, take some poppers and eels worked behind a bubble float, though i'd take a few leads just in case. Ilfracombe gets a mass invasion of big mullet every year that lasts about a week - like shooting fish in a barrel. bit later in the year though.......

Hope the weather picks up!

captain carrott

Reaction score
stick some bait in the mouth of the harbour as it's dropping dark and you will find crab, fekking great spider crabs at this time of year about 2 foot across the legs.

bait fishing has always been best when i've been, about 6 years running up till i split up wi my wife.

you want heavy rock gear for most of the decent marks, and beware float fished sand eel strips intended for garfish can turn into enraged 10lb congers in this area.

T

The Monk

Ilfracombe eh, nice you see how the other half lives, you`ll be going to Cleethorpes next mate

E

EC

So bear in mind I'll be lucky to get 2 short sessions in, will the lure gear be my best bet?

Cleethorpes next year Nic!

Beecs.....pm mate!

F

Frothey

bait fishing's the best bet for a fish..... lure kits more fun! depends on the weather

captain carrott

Reaction score
you can get a session in every night you fool.

just after tea, grab your gear and leg it while she sorts out the kids , washing up/ sortin them out.

then come back 2 hours later get a quick wash an you're ready for the evening, sheesh where's your pioneering spirit man.

E

EC

Jase, since I've moved I get out more times in 1 week now than I did in a month back then, including what you suggest at tea times and the like.

I can't really be arsed taking all my proper beach gear so will go for lure tackle.

Is there much opportunity for float fishing Dave, and are there any spots where I could get away with a heavy feeder rod and 1 or 2oz leads?

captain carrott

Reaction score
and are there any spots where I could get away with a heavy feeder rod and 1 or 2oz leads?

no mate it's the 10 meter tides that make it a bit of a bugger.

Is there much opportunity for float fishing Dave

yes mate off the harbour wall in the evening.

if you stand looking down the harbour, with the mouth in front of you. just behind you to your right will be the lifeboat station.

right behind the lifeboat station is a tackle shop that opens in the evenings to sell bait.

i used to make up a rod with a 2 snood standard rig. then just band it.

when i got there just clip on a plain or breakaway lead, the bottom is pretty rocky and the tide will shift 6oz if it puts it's mind to it and stuff you in a snag so a rotten bottom is usefull.

captain carrott

Reaction score
mullet if it's the right day, theres plenty of mackerel about, the odd garfish, and it turned up a 6lb bass to one bloke one day i was there.

i've had mackerel, whiting, gurnard, pout, small codling and lots fekkin great spider crabs covered in spines.

captain carrott

Reaction score
the tackle shop sells most baits, but supplies the thing, they've usually got luggs and rags in plus frozen fish baits but ragg always seemed to work best for me.

E

EC

Rag on the float, and bread mashed bread also? I can do that.

Will I be fishing inside a harbour or off rocks?

captain carrott

Reaction score
Will I be fishing inside a harbour or off rocks?

yes! depending which direction you're facing.
the end of the harbour is rocks, inside the harbour wall is boats.