Who Remembers..........

dezza

Reaction score
What fishing was like in the 50s and 60s?

Well for a start I am old enough to remember gut casts and whipped on hooks in packets made by Allcocks of Redditch.

Where I lived as a boy, gave me access to the Rivers Ryton and Idle. A little further was the Trent and the rivers in and around the Dukeries, such as the Poulter, Maun and Meden - south of Worksop. Then there was the Chesterfield Canal, which is still one of the best canals in England.

But in the 50s, all these waters teemed with fish. I remember watching large shoals of dace and quite a few good chub from the Bridge at Blyth, which crosses the Nottinghamshire Ryton. This little river was capable of producing enormous dace for a period.

These days the river is a fishless, weed choked trickle.

The River Idle in those days was a true gem. If you were reasonably competent you could often get 15 lbs of roach, each one averaging 1 lb, with the occasion fish over 1 1/2 lbs. In summer, creed wheat was the bait, and in winter - small redworms. I couldn't afford maggots then and casters were unheard of. And anglers using hemp were often treated with scorn. In fact hemp was often banned in many waters then.

The River Trent in the tidal reaches, polluted as is was, could produce excellent roach fishing, especially in the Sutton to Cottam stretch. Again, creed wheat was the bait, especially in September and October. The Trent would often go off with the first frosts.

And in those days, very few people used trotting tactics when fishing the Trent. Stret Pegging and laying on with long Spanish Reed rods was more the norm. One particular Trent expert who I fished with quite a lot, despised trotting and used the use a heavy bored out tonkin 14 foot rod with a spliced in split cane tip. This rod had a permanent set going to the left, as he mainly fished on the west bank at Cottam along what was known as the "Stone Heap". This length was heaving with good roach which often rolled in profusion just as the tide turned.

In those days you could mainly catch roach, dace and the odd chub from the Tidal Trent. Certainly no barbel or bream.

And turning to carp, this was a species that hardly existed in the area I fished. There were a few in a Gravel pit near Worksop, but nothing of any size. I think it would be true to say that in the 60s, carp in Yorkshire were confined to Hartwith Mill Dam near Ripley, a 2 acre lake stocked by Leney, and Foxon Dam near Sheffield, again stocked by Leney. Actually Foxon might be in Derbyshire. Certainly Chapel Wheel Dam was in Derbyshire, the lake where I caught my first carp.

In truth, in those days, I doubt if more than two dozen carp actually swam within the borders of Yorkshire. I fished at Hartwith and I doubt if more than a dozen carp were living in it.

So there you are, a little of what fishing was like in the 50s and 60 where I lived.

But what about you?

Last edited:

little oik

Reaction score
Beginning of the seventies with me .Black Prince reel and efgeeco ready tied hooks .Can still remember the smell when you used to enter a tackle shop though, I think it came from the nets,it was a bit of a linseed oil smell but not quite . And of course the gentiles as well

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think it would be true to say that in the 60s, carp in Yorkshire were confined to Hartwith Mill Dam near Ripley, a 2 acre lake stocked by Leney, and Foxon Dam near Sheffield, again stocked by Leney. Actually Foxon might be in Derbyshire. Certainly Chapel Wheel Dam was in Derbyshire, the lake where I caught my first carp.

Define what your idea of Yorkshire extends to? I have my doubts as to the veracity of this statement because I'm quite sure that at least one pond local to me in North Yorkshire is reputed to have had carp present since the fifties (at least). I've also heard suggestions that Knotford has had carp since the sort of time period you are talking about. Then there are waters in East Yorkshire that I'm not particularly familar with.

This might be of interest.

riverking

Reaction score
the ryton is "FISHLESS" ???? weed "choaked" ??? my my thats a bold statement.............iv had roach to 1.11 this season and backups of 1.8 and 1.2........perch to 2lb.....chub to 4lb.......and bertys over 10lb...............and seen sum double figure pike.......ok the fish are a tad "sporadic,but they are there !!! i remeber fishing it when i was a kid.....1979 aged 5yrs.....catching perch and so on..............dad use to take me and he wud chub fish and tell me storys from wen he fished on there in late 60s...........i love the weed cover aswell it makes the river "WHAT IT IS" !!!!!!!!

dezza

Reaction score
Define what your idea of Yorkshire extends to

Shortly after I formed The Northern Specimen Group in 1962, we serched Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire for carp waters. In those days, due to the doings of Walker and the Carp Catchers Club, carp became the "in fish".

North Yorkshire held nothing for us. Tag Barnes had the fishing rights for Hartwith, and due to Tag's generousity, I was able to fish it for a coulple of times, and there was nothing in the East Riding of Yorkshire. We did find some excellent tench fishing however.

Most of the carp waters were actually in Derbyshire, although some might have thought they could have been in Yorkshire, but the border of the two counties weaves a mesmeric path, just south of Sheffield. The Best local Carp water for myself was Chapel Wheel Dam, which is located near Spinkhill in Derbyshire. It held about 11 carp(if that) from 7lbs to a fish of just over 20 lbs which was caught by Eric J Taylor of Eckington. Foxon, I have just learned, is also just in Derbyshire. John Neville of Eckington, caught one of the two fish it was said to contain, at 21 lbs

The other carp water of significance was Mapperley Reservoir Near Shipley, again in Derbyshire, a large water that held for a long period, the record of 26lbs caught by Albert Buckley. I couple of the NSG members fished Mapperley quite regularly, but caught nothing. I never fished there.

I think it right in saying that from 1950 to 1970, only 6 carp were caught at Mapperley Reservoir. A heartbreak lake indeed.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

the ryton is "FISHLESS" ???? weed "choaked" ??? my my thats a bold statement.............iv had roach to 1.11 this season and backups of 1.8 and 1.2........perch to 2lb.....chub to 4lb.......and bertys over 10lb...............and seen sum double figure pike.......ok the fish are a tad "sporadic,but they are there !!! i remeber fishing it when i was a kid.....1979 aged 5yrs.....catching perch and so on..............dad use to take me and he wud chub fish and tell me storys from wen he fished on there in late 60s...........i love the weed cover aswell it makes the river "WHAT IT IS" !!!!!!!!

Shhhussshh!!!!

:eek:

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shortly after I formed The Northern Specimen Group in 1962, we serched Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire for carp waters. In those days, due to the doings of Walker and the Carp Catchers Club, carp became the "in fish".

North Yorkshire held nothing for us. Tag Barnes had the fishing rights for Hartwith, and due to Tag's generousity, I was able to fish it for a coulple of times, and there was nothing in the East Riding of Yorkshire. We did find some excellent tench fishing however.

Most of the carp waters were actually in Derbyshire, although some might have thought they could have been in Yorkshire, but the border of the two counties weaves a mesmeric path, just south of Sheffield. The Best local Carp water for myself was Chapel Wheel Dam, which is located near Spinkhill in Derbyshire. It held about 11 carp(if that) from 7lbs to a fish of just over 20 lbs which was caught by Eric J Taylor of Eckington. Foxon, I have just learned, is also just in Derbyshire. John Neville of Eckington, caught one of the two fish it was said to contain, at 21 lbs

The other carp water of significance was Mapperley Reservoir Near Shipley, again in Derbyshire, a large water that held for a long period, the record of 26lbs caught by Albert Buckley. I couple of the NSG members fished Mapperley quite regularly, but caught nothing. I never fished there.

I think it right in saying that from 1950 to 1970, only 6 carp were caught at Mapperley Reservoir. A heartbreak lake indeed.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 ----------

Shhhussshh!!!!

Just because you don't know about it, then or now, doesn't make you saying that only those few waters held carp true.:eek:mg: I take it that you really meant that only those waters in South Yorkshire held carp. Otherwise you are talking the same old cobblers that you are often accused of.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I remember fishing in the 50’s very well Ron. I used to fish with my father the Colne, Kennet, Lea Loddon and some of the Colne valley pits, that were all working pits in those days. I can’t recall any carp in the waters we had access to but we were kept well informed by our local tackle dealer, Jimmy James, (B J James & Son) of exploits by others;).
Jerry

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Late 1950s, a very little me starting out fishing - shorts and Aertex shirt in summer; multiple pullovers and a Mum-knitted balaclava in winter - on a largely dead Colne, Grand Union Canal, Little Britain Lake and some Middx and Bucks pits (tench waters then, with carp just a rumour), Farlow's (for perch) and Mayfield's (where I once saw a man catch several OMG! tench...), Thames, lots of Thames as Dad had bought possibly the world's worst tiny front-cabin cabin-cruiser complete with Seagull outboard, "Dotty".

Early to mid 1960s, still small and in shorts or a duffle-coat and one of my many Mum-knitted woolly hats / bobble-hats, fishing the same waters and, now, the Kennet on special days-out, plus the Dorset Stour, Hants Avon and some Welsh rivers whilst on holiday.

Slowly, trip by trip, over the years, the bleak and the tiny perch, ruffe, gudgeon, roach and bream were replaced by first carp (Wokingham sandpit), first tench, first barbel...

The only thing I can get misty-eyed and rosy-spectacled about about those years now were the people, the Anglers, you met - what a great, cheerful, friendly, ever-helpful crowd they were...

dezza

Reaction score
Just because you don't know about it, then or now, doesn't make you saying that only those few waters held carp true. I take it that you really meant that only those waters in South Yorkshire held carp. Otherwise you are talking the same old cobblers that you are often accused of.

I am talking about the waters we knew of in those days.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cue violins....

Pity. Such a stock response. Profiteering Philistines and carping cynics aplenty in Angling these days - reason why so many of our number are such ever-complaining, It's all gone to the woofers, unhappy campers now. Cull, anyone?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think it would be true to say that in the 60s, carp in Yorkshire were confined to Hartwith Mill Dam near Ripley, a 2 acre lake stocked by Leney, and Foxon Dam near Sheffield, again stocked by Leney. Actually Foxon might be in Derbyshire. Certainly Chapel Wheel Dam was in Derbyshire, the lake where I caught my first carp.

In truth, in those days, I doubt if more than two dozen carp actually swam within the borders of Yorkshire. I fished at Hartwith and I doubt if more than a dozen carp were living in it.

I am talking about the waters we knew of in those days.

So you've changed your mind then? It's a ****** getting old.;):p

riverking

Reaction score
shussshhh ha ha ha ??? i know wats in the all the little rivers that you have mentioned as iv fished them..........so its curious to me as why to state in this thread,that this particular river is fishless ??? its a strange statement or you have been caught out talking "cobblers" as another member has said !!! is there any truth in your 30,000+ posts ha ha ????????? makes me wonder ??? but then agian i never believe "anything" i read.......forum or blog or press wise !!! :eek:mg:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Rotherham? Did it go downhill and lose its sense of fun?

My only encounter with the place was when, aged 11 or 12, when on holiday in a Bournemouth hotel with my folks over Christmas, a certain Miss Pamela Wood(s) of Rotherham town, a national beauty queen who was so very nearly Miss England (imagine an earlier Holly Willoughby) on holiday at the same with her parents, for a laugh took pity on a little lad sat at a table, smiled broadly and extended a hand and dragged him onto the dancefloor then clasped him to her considerable frontage. A formative experience, I can tell you, which very nearly made me give up fishing...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
At least you found out how a climber feels hanging under the lip of a cliff. :D :D

Hell, Jeff, in another life I met (and had dinner with) Sir Edmund Hillary and Reinhold Messner (who summited without oxygen), went to the school where George Mallory (died on the peak after just possibly summiting in 1924) once taught. Me? I just took on Rotherham's briefly best, and just about survived.

dezza

Reaction score
shussshhh ha ha ha ??? i know wats in the all the little rivers that you have mentioned as iv fished them..........so its curious to me as why to state in this thread,that this particular river is fishless ??? its a strange statement or you have been caught out talking "cobblers" as another member has said !!! is there any truth in your 30,000+ posts ha ha ????????? makes me wonder ??? but then agian i never believe "anything" i read.......forum or blog or press wise !!!

I was using words metaphorically.

Certainly I can prove 31,000 posts, but before I do, and I do see that you are a Rotherham man, lets' have a real name.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Certainly I can prove 31,000 posts,

Ron, whilst no one may doubt the veracity of your posts (although the amount of Sodium Choride we have been asked to take with regard to you association with Walker R should have us all on blood pressure tablets :):)) is quantity any guarantee of quality..........?

flightliner

Reaction score
What fishing was like in the 50s and 60s?

Well for a start I am old enough to remember gut casts and whipped on hooks in packets made by Allcocks of Redditch.

Where I lived as a boy, gave me access to the Rivers Ryton and Idle. A little further was the Trent and the rivers in and around the Dukeries, such as the Poulter, Maun and Meden - south of Worksop. Then there was the Chesterfield Canal, which is still one of the best canals in England.

But in the 50s, all these waters teemed with fish. I remember watching large shoals of dace and quite a few good chub from the Bridge at Blyth, which crosses the Nottinghamshire Ryton. This little river was capable of producing enormous dace for a period.

These days the river is a fishless, weed choked trickle.

The River Idle in those days was a true gem. If you were reasonably competent you could often get 15 lbs of roach, each one averaging 1 lb, with the occasion fish over 1 1/2 lbs. In summer, creed wheat was the bait, and in winter - small redworms. I couldn't afford maggots then and casters were unheard of. And anglers using hemp were often treated with scorn. In fact hemp was often banned in many waters then.

The River Trent in the tidal reaches, polluted as is was, could produce excellent roach fishing, especially in the Sutton to Cottam stretch. Again, creed wheat was the bait, especially in September and October. The Trent would often go off with the first frosts.

And in those days, very few people used trotting tactics when fishing the Trent. Stret Pegging and laying on with long Spanish Reed rods was more the norm. One particular Trent expert who I fished with quite a lot, despised trotting and used the use a heavy bored out tonkin 14 foot rod with a spliced in split cane tip. This rod had a permanent set going to the left, as he mainly fished on the west bank at Cottam along what was known as the "Stone Heap". This length was heaving with good roach which often rolled in profusion just as the tide turned.

In those days you could mainly catch roach, dace and the odd chub from the Tidal Trent. Certainly no barbel or bream.

And turning to carp, this was a species that hardly existed in the area I fished. There were a few in a Gravel pit near Worksop, but nothing of any size. I think it would be true to say that in the 60s, carp in Yorkshire were confined to Hartwith Mill Dam near Ripley, a 2 acre lake stocked by Leney, and Foxon Dam near Sheffield, again stocked by Leney. Actually Foxon might be in Derbyshire. Certainly Chapel Wheel Dam was in Derbyshire, the lake where I caught my first carp.

So there you are, a little of what fishing was like in the 50s and 60 where I lived.

But what about you?
Like you Ron my angling apprenticeship was in South Yorkshire/Notts /lincs/Norfolk in ascending order as I grew up/older.
Local ponds at first then the Sopwith and Chesterfield canal around Retford and just before my teens on the Trent, particularly the tidal reaches where my father took me on the old SUT coaches to Laneham ferry where we would then walk all the way down to Rampton island (The freehold property of the now defunct Sheffield and District AA)Where we were once marooned by a high tide!
Trains down to the Witham then-- Lincoln down to Boston-- happiest of days.
By the mid sixties I was really into match angling with numerous wins on rivers and drains but sadly the cost forced me to give it up.
Re the Carp thing-- Ecclesfield pond was stocked with them in the fifties and near where you lived the Shireoaks quarry pond always had some wild carp in it up until the floods in 07, I had lots with nothing more elaborate than a piece of flake that you literally dropped down their mouth as they were smurfing in the weed.
Near me there is also Hardwick pond that also contained wildies, they were placed there by the monks of Roache Abbey who would collect them to eat from hazel traps on their way back from Todwick.
River Ryton--OMG :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: