Angling Terminology

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One must admit that Britain has its own set of angling terms that can be confusing to Americans and to many other anglers from the English speaking world who have a tendency to use Americanisms.

For example, most South African, Australian and New Zealand anglers tend to use American terms.

In addition, many USA terms have now become standard here.

Lets compare the terminology and see where we should adopt the American word, or not!

UK - Cast = USA - Leader.

The term "leader" in now universally accepted in the UK.

UK - Bite = USA - Strike.

This can be very confusing as in the UK, to strike means to set the hook. Americans, being perhaps more logical, say "set the hook". I find this term becoming more popular in England.

UK - Rod Rings, runners or eyes = USA - line guides. I actually prefer the term "guides" as it explains more logically what they do.

UK - Winch Fitting = USA - Reel Seat.

The term "winch fitting" has now been totally superceded by the much better: "Reel Seat".

UK - Multiplying Reel = USA - Casting or Baitcasting reel.

UK - Fixed Spool Reel = USA - Spinning Reel.

So called in the USA because they are not used for spinning anymore!

UK - Lobworms = USA - Night Crawlers.

The interesting thing about a lot of American English is that the word describes what it does.

UK - Float = USA - Bobber.

UK - Bung = USA - Strike Indicator.

Designed to tell you when a fish has taken your fly, not when to strike (or set the hook).

UK - Diving Plug = USA - Crankbait.

UK - Floating Plug - USA - Topwater bait.

The term: "Plug" is hardly ever used in the USA these days. Virtually all plugs are called: "Baits" or occasionally "Lures". Keen lure anglers in the UK tend to use American terms anyway.

The Americanism I love is "Honey Hole" which means "Hot Spot" or "Hot Swim" in England. One can only guess how "honey hole" got it's name...... :eek:)

There are no doubt many other American angling terms which are gradually creeping into our language. Let's face it, the Americans did it with computerspeak!

What do you think?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh I forgot this one:

UK - Lead = USA - Sinker.

I wonder what we will call them when lead is banned outright?

W

Wolfman Woody

"The Americanism I love is "Honey Hole" "

On the film sets, <u>luvvy</u>, there's one van we actors always refer to as the 'honey wagon'.

The toilets.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
A "Bobber" in British Columbia is somebody who has fallen in to a fast flowing river.

It seems the USA doesn't have W@nkers? We seem to have more than our fair share.

Colin

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"What do you think?"

What I think Ron, is just because it is American doesn't mean it has to right.

We've had this discussion before, and I asked you if you then thought that the term should be 'a leader of flies' or 'a cast of flies'?

We in Britian have a long and proud history coupled with a wonderfully descriptive language - why on earth we would want to corrupt it with 'Americanisms' is way beyond my level of understanding.

Oh, if the Americans find it confusing then maybe they would be better advised to stay at home and use their 'pole' to fish in the 'fishing hole'

Oh, again, the only time that their float actually 'bobs' is when they get a bite or a 'strike' as mostly is just Floats! Logical or what?

Colin,
"It seems the USA doesn't have W@nkers"

Oh yes they do, believe me, I lived there for long enough to have encountered untold numbers of them!

What they don't seem to have is a similar adjective - as I said above, the English language is suitably descriptive.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Winch fittings are two pieces of cylindrical metal to hold the reel (formerly winch) in place and should not be confused with "screw winch fittings" that at now pretty universal,and rightly so,that are now commonly called reel seats, also diving plugs float until retrieved (or cranked).

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't think Peter likes Americans. Yet he certainly had a good life out there.

A "Honey Hole" is any favourite reliable spot known only to the angler or hunter where he can go and get a bag full of fish, or wild turkeys, or anything else he wants to hunt!

Including a place which is reliable for pulling birds....... :eek:)

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I thought it was a place you put yer tongue to get at the sweet stuff.

Those Yanks are puddled.......best send their sweet stuff over here!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"A "Honey Hole" is any favourite reliable spot known only to the angler or hunter "

Well, thats certainly one description . . . .

"Including a place which is reliable for pulling birds....... :eek:)"

And, I suppose that's another . . . . . .

Maybe Ed will set you straight Ron ;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It's also another reason for the well known saying which may have developed amongst sailors, or even amongst miners, but is now used universally by the armed forces to warn of an imminent explosive reaction or detonation in the crevice or depression under question:

"Fire In The Hole!"

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ron
Next time you are out with Deanos' Auntie Kathleen,ask her to show you where the honey hole is -- I'm sure she'll oblige ........

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And maybe The Monk has spread some of his fire into many holes in his life - Honey Holes that is........ :eek:)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Now look here Peter J., I've lived and worked in San Francisco alongside many Americans and I have to say...........

........you're so right!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL

Tell me about them Neil - I was married to one for 3 happy years (not bad out of a total of 9 ;-)

Mind you, she wasn't a 'yank' but a southern belle and took great exception to being called a yank.

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

i always thought that the english version of the topwater lure was surface lure.

i also think that crankbaits are diving plugs and can be either sinking,suspending or floating,but they all dive when "cranked"