Mullet on the fly?

davey boy

Reaction score
Hi guys/girls, hoping to break a duck this year and catch my first mullet. I'm awhere of the common methods of fishing with bread ect, but understand they can be tempted on the fly? This I'd love to try, anyone have any experience of this? Advice and tips would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Seem to remember watching a video years ago. I can't whose it was, buy think it was one of the big boys, Matt Hayes or John Wilson. He was fishing in the Purbecks in Dorset below the cliffs. His method was to throw in the high tide deposits of sea weed as the tide turns. They contain white maggots in the damp weed and these are taken by the out going tide giving a trickle of maggots drifting down with the tide. If my memory is correct, he flyfished a maggot or perhaps 2. I think they might be easier caught with maggot fished shallow under a float.
It has always seemed to be an exciting way to catch mullet, at any rate it's a bit different. Must give it a go myself some time.

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
I think Mike Ladle, of the Mullet club might be your man for this.
You could try and contact him via the National Mullet Club website.
or through the chatroom facility off this website via msn.

David Craine

Reaction score
I fly fish for Bass in the Camel estuary in Padstow,mostly in September onwards ,when I am up to my knees in water as the tide comes in, the Bass and Mullet both swim together,so close in that they are actually behind me sometimes.I have had Mullet strike at the smaller sandeel imitation flies within literally 2 or 3 feet of me but never hooked one though.I dont think they are actually feeding, just curious...
I have not tried to deliberatley fish for the Mullet on fly,I have enough fun catching them on bread in the Harbour.
If you have any success let us know.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I would reccommmed any one who gets a chance to have a go for these spelndid fish using whatever method, to do so.

Once you have experienced the first rush of a good sized one, you will be addicted.

The "English Bonefish" is a well desrved title

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Once you have experienced the first rush of a good sized one, you will be addicted."

Well, Ron and I will reserve judgement on that one Nigel ;-)