Is it too cold for lure fishing ?

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I'm not the most experienced the piker the world has seen but my mate has done a bit. I tried lure fishing a few years back and enjoyed it but never got round to it again. I know dead baiting is the main method at this time of year but a) I'm more likely to deep hook one (something I'm keen to avoid) and b) sitting behind two motionless dead bait rods will bore me to tears.

Hence lure work at a canal or lake near me. If it's worth it in this weather.

Failing that anything else that's involves a bit if moving about (walking to and from a caff doesn't count :))

keora

Reaction score
I do better catching pike on lures in autumn, when the weather is warmer. I still catch pike with lures in winter provided it's fairly mild. I don't do very well after a few days of hard frost.

Your're unlikely to deep hook pike when deadbaiting provided you have a sensitive rig (I prefer to float fish rather than ledger) and keep your eye on the float all the time.

I do quite well in winter by deadbaiting using a single rod, and moving swims regularly if I don't get takes. I did this a few days ago, fished four swims and had four pike between 6lb and 13lb.

I sometimes take two rods, one for deadbaits and one for lures, varying the method and choice of swim throughout the day.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I lure fish in winter and have good results with pike and perch, but why not give a wobbled dead bait ago then you have the best of both worlds (using a dead bait, lure fishing style!) all you need is a pike rod and a few traces and away you go!
there is loads of stuff on the internet about this method if you have a look.

hope that helps

Mark

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
If the water isn't frozen you can still catch on lures. It's not for everyone I admit, but if there's been a prolonged cold snap, the pike will feed at some point.
Feeding spells may be shorter, and less often than Autumn as Keith points out but, at some point during the day ''they will feed''. You just have to find 'em.
By the way, canal's are a good choice, providing they have a reasonable head of pike.
As for which lures might I suggest the following lures. ''Storm suspending shad's'', or one of the many slow sink ''Swim baits'' now readily available. Or lightweight ''Spinnerbaits''. I find that these give you a decided edge through hard weather periods, primarily because these allow you to work the lure far slower than your conventional Spinner's and most Spoons. And that allows you to cater to the pike's mood/disposition.
Hope this helps.

chav professor

Reaction score
On bright evenings had them smash into retrieved lunceon meat cubes, both above and below the surface and this is with hard frost forming on the ground - at night!

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Using lures in winter still gets me fish. But I tend to fish deadbaits more.

If I am fishing deadbaits on a river , I never stay in a swim for more than an hour unless I am catching . It is much better to move along a stretch fishing different spots this time of year . There seem to be so few anglers on my local stretches of river that you can take your pick , moving from swim to swim .

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Thankyou all. Some good advice there particularly the wobbled dead bait idea. Pike rods were mentioned but could I get away with a 2.5lb tc carp rod ?

Failing that, lures may well work, which gives me a bit more confidence. I don't want to thrash the water to foam for nowt !!!

Carlos

Reaction score
Pick a nice wide bay or bend in the river, have a dead bait out and lure fish the other angle.

Dead baiting I find gets the better fish in winter.

keora

Reaction score
A 2.5 lb TC carp rod will be fine for bait fishing for pike, although too long for lure fishing.