New whip or pole

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
I am considering buying a whip or pole for my son who is 7 to use when we go river fishing. It would cut down on the complications of casting, tangles, etc. I have just been to my local shop and they do evreything from a 3 meter Shakespeare whip for ?12 to poles that are much more expensive. I am tempted to pay the least and get a small one to see how we get on, but having nver used a whip have no idea how to use them. I assume you tie your line on the end with a float and hook attached as per a rod ? Would I be better getting a nice pole that might last a few more years and that maybe I could use as well ? Obviously you get what you pay for, but just after a bit of advice ? It would be mainly for silver fish on rivers.

L

Laurie Harper

I'd say get a cheap one and see how he gets on with it. You can always get something nicer if he does take to it and ?12 isn't much to lose if you do. You would be better getting something a bit longer for river work. You can always use just 2 or 3 sections of it for fishing close in. Paradoxically, a cheaper one is likely to last longer - better, lighter poles are more fragile and easier to bust, especially when you're learning and might be prone to hit a tree with it...

The easiest way to attach the line is with a couple of pieces of float silicone, but you can also get little glue on connectors to do the job. Your tackle shop will show you what to do and sell you the bits - they're very cheap.

W

Wolfman Woody

There's a lot of nice little poles, 3 and 4 metres, and most of them appear to be the same make with different badges. They're telescopic, always, but that's good as they won't come apart!

You'll find a loop fixed to the tip. You can tied some line direct to the loop if you like, or ......

Tie a large loop in your line about 3" long. Then tie another loop about 1" from the end so you have a short loop then a slightly longer loop.

To fix this to the end, use the main line and push it through larger loop so that when you pole the pole tip through and pull the loop tight it traps around the pole. It should also leave the smaller end loop still sticking out.

Now, work the tightened loop towards the end and tighten it again behind the ring, but just in front of the pole end. The shorter loop can be pulled to help untie it after.

That loop should stay throughout the session and you can cut the line (about 2 feet short of the full pole length) and fix all your tackle on that.

They are brilliant and later, if you want, you can elasticate the top section of the pole with say a no.4 elastic. This provides and even softer pull on the strike and will help teach the youngster how hard to strike without damaging the fish's mouth.

I'll try and take some photos sometime of what I mean and do a little feature for Graham. Stay tuned!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Surely Jeff a more simple execise would be to snip the tip section and use super glue to fix a Stonfo connector.

That way you don't have to be messing around with double loops and a length of silicone tubing.

If you can get one then maybe a slightly longer whip is a good idea, say 6 metres, as you can always take a couple of sextions off to make it shorter to start with. Also, as the child gets older and more proficient then you can add them back and fish further out.

Keep the rigs very simple, a bulk shot and just one or two dropper shots are enough.

Good luck - whip fishing is a lot of fun and very good for children as there are no reels to get those lovely 'kiddie-tangles' that ensure Dad's stress levels rise off the scale ;-)

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
Thats great, thanks for all the advice.

If anyone is willing to write an article and inlcude photographs on this subject it would be much appreciated.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Very good timing this thread as I will be taking Thomas down to the canal on his 4th birthday in couple of weeks time.

I got a 3 metre whip in France for peanuts recently and will use that.

You can get the same tackle in France in Euros for what you buy in pounds in the UK.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The cult of the barbel has yet to reach France Graham, largely I suspect because you cannot eat them!

What they were very much into was collecting clams and such like from the beach and the shops sold all sorts of paraphenalia for that purpose.

I did see some Mystic Red paste in tubes for sale but forgot to get some.Has any ever used it?

Apologies for going off thread.

Beecy

Reaction score
I tried this stuff years ago, it was the clear type red stuff (if that makes sense) that you were supposed to be able to get to look like a bloodworm on the hook.

It caught fish but was no good for speed fishing as it didnt stay on for more than one fish and took longer to put on than a real one.

(apologies from me too ! )

W

Wolfman Woody

"snip the tip section and use super glue to fix a Stonfo connector."

Peter, I re-read your article first and of course, the main difference between what I was talking about and what your article features is - the cost of the whip. I appreciate you like quality and the sort of gear you buy you will get a very fine and strong tip.

Not so with the sub-?15 poles that I was talking about and a Stonfo tip will NOT fit onto the cheap ones. Also, we are talking about kids here and you will want to keep the costs down as much as possible. My loops system is fine, cheap as chips, and it works well.

In fact, Bob Nudd used to rig his whips in a very similar fashion. What more can I say other than, I taught the man well. :eek:)

W

Wolfman Woody

A FUNNY EXPERIENCE

Many, many years ago (maybe 13 or 14) we had a junior instruction day on a pit and a very kind local dealer gave us about 10 of these cheap whips for the kids to use. We had a number of the quite experienced matchmen present to teach the kids, but not enough to do a 1-on-1.

One kid has his dad there who had been fishing before, he said, and so would help his own kid. The matchmen took the TELESCOPIC whips out, pulled off the end plug, gave them a flick and all the sections came out and set themselves up nice and snuggly to the full 4 metres.

This guy saw what was going on, took his kid's plug off, gave the whip a flick and - three sections of the pole went flying out into the lake.

He didn't realise, it was the other plug he was supposed to take off.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

If the tip sections are that thick, then I have to wonder about the whole action of the whip, especially on the strike?

Stonfo's come in different sizes upto about 2? m/m and I've never had a problem with them.

I started off using the double loop and silicone tubing rigs, but these often slipped or worse still came very loose especially when 'speed fishing'

The main thing though is to get the nipper into the sport first, and let him sample the delights of small fish on the whip.

As to flicking the wrong end of the whip, the one time captain of the Norwegian Team did exactly that on a practice day - the biggest laugh though was when he did the same thing 2 days later when tackling up for the first day of the World Championships.
Did we laugh?

You bet your sweet bippy we did ;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

It's one of those cheap Americanisms Nigel.

Seriously, Pete, these cheap whips are very soft even though they're thick. Probably simple fibre-glass.

I have one here if you would like to sample it. Be an experience for you not to use cane.

:eek:)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Sweet bippy"

Nigel,

Rowan and Martin's laugh In - it was oe of Goldie Hawn's favorite lines.

Jeff,

As I have a whip, or two, so I'll pass you generous offer if it may ;-)

I do see what you mean though about those whips, so maybe then the loop and silicone tube rigs are better.

W

Wolfman Woody

Do you know, Peter, I was just thinking a little while ago, it's three years to the day (I think) that we first met on the Thames!

Could have doen with some whips that day.

To use on Jason!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

You two are like elephants - you never forget!

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
Woody,

I have tried drawing out your loop method and am having trouble figuring it out.Is there any chance you could draw a digram or photograph the method for me. I would hate to think there i a better way of doing something that I am missing out on. You can mail me if you want, rather than posting here ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

Some things, like epic treks though jungles, fording streams battline the elements etc., do tend to stick in the old memory cells ;-)

"Its only a short walk up to the decent swims" said the man . . . . yeah, right!

Jeff,

Three years eh?
It seems a lot longer than that since you have been berrating me about using proper rods ;-)