Barbel stocking in the Dorset Stour

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Read with interest in the CF magazine news section that the barbel society will be funding the stocking of fish in the upper reaches of the Dorest Stour. This is a part of the river as yet devoid of barbel. It is narrow and alternates between pools and shallow riffles full of weed. It is a very intimate river and looks like a perfect habitat for barbel to spawn and thrive in.
I wonder if anyone knows any more about this.
I'm in two minds about it. I'm a barbel virgin in UK waters and in one way would love to see barbel in the upper river. On the other hand, and a little more selfishly, I worry that if successful this little fished stretch of water could see more anglers. Usually when I fish it I'm entirely on my own and though I consider myself to be quite a social person, I do love the solitude I get when out fishing!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

If it's such a good place for them why haven't they migrated upstream?

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Good question.
In the middle part of the Stour the barbel stocks become lower and below Blandford peter out where the river becomes very slow and weed choked in summer and very 'unbarbely'. I think there are some low weirs also. All this might be stopping the fish migrating upstream. The upper reaches are completely different to the middle stretch which is, to my mind, a boring piece of the river. Not sure if this is the reason for the lack of barbel, but it is my theory.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What you need to understand Peter is that when barbel move in other fish are pushed out, it can take ten years or more before things settle down and I know of at least one Stour fisherman that will not welcome the news.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Barbel were stocked in one stretch above Blandford a number of years ago; whether they are thriving is unknown. There were also rumours of barbel much further up but there is no evidence for actual stocking.

I just wonder whose waters are getting the stocking????????????

With the level of the Stour last night low weirs would not present much of a problem!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
What? There's Barbel above Throop Weir (old weir that is) ????

No can't be??? All the experts told us they didn't (and couldn't) exist up there!

Oops sorry, I was thinking it was 1970 again. Nurse, where's my medicine??

As Mark says, I too wonder which stretch is being considered?

T

Tony Rocca

"Why does it matter which stretch", I think to myself.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

If you look at the first wier on the Teme you will soon realise that at high water they ain't no barrier.

My own experiences are of Midland barbel....and trust me, if they want to be there they will arrive!

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Tony....it matters cos the "club" may not want em?

F

Fred Bonney

Then, perhaps Paul,it won't happen!

Because reading what Paul B. has to say,somebody,or CF, haven't stated the whole story.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Then, why, Fred, did Peter read it may?!

I'll never get an invite to the BC at this rate! :)

F

Fred Bonney

Sorry Paul,I meant Peter B.
Edited above, after you posted.

F

Fred Bonney

Anyway, why would you want an invite, to the Bristol Channel?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
My current knowledge of the middle/upper Stour is virtually nil but I would guess the miriad of various controlling clubs/owners would debate this hard and long.

Having said that, I believe Pete Reading is a senior figure in the BS and he will have an excellent up to date and local knowledge of the situation.

Way back in 1970's talk of Barbel above Throop was virtually heresy. Of course they were above Throop at Parley, Muscliffe, Redhill, New Road and Longham but were only talked about in hushed tones!

The Longham Weirs and Water Works seemed to be a barrier to their onward natural colonisation but I did have one from Canford in the mid 80's. Rumours of the odd fish above Wimborne did occur every so often but I never personally saw one or was convinced by any of the stories. Blandford and above are a long way upstream of Wimborne!!